roslaunch planning

Dan Lazewatsky

Feb 11, 2013, 11:05:12 AM2/11/13
to ros-sig-roslaunch
Hi all -
I think the time has come to get the process started of figuring out
what is going to happen to roslaunch. The SIG wiki page (http://
www.ros.org/wiki/sig/roslaunch) has 11 proposals, which I'll summarize
here:

* <launch> tag: adding 'name' and 'description' attributes
* Dependencies: "launch prog X once Y is running"
* Adding 'machine' attribute to <include> and <group> tags
* Bubbling up/passing through args
* Parameters: this is possibly a separate topic, but parameters and
the parameter server are a part of the launch process that account for
a lot of wasted developer time in practice.
* 'description' or 'doc' attributes for <arg> tags
* Automatic CLI documentation for launchfile arguments and tab-
completion.
* Add topic remapping to <include> tags.
* Add respawn attribute to <include> tags to relaunch the include if
any nodes it launched die.
* Add something similar to inclusion guards like a <once> tag to
prevent a given block of launchfile markup from being evaluated
multiple times.
* Allow binaries that are not in ros packages to be roslaunched

If anyone has any additions, please try to add them to the wiki in the
next few days. Once we have a full list, there are a few things to be
done: prune out any that would be better handled outside of roslaunch;
order proposals by desirability; determine feasibility of each
proposal; pick a final list to implement; assign feature to people.

When we have a full list, I'll setup some polls or something so we can
vote on desirability and feasibility. This is also a good time to
start discussing current proposals, and if people think it would be
helpful, we could schedule a skype call to discuss in detail.

Thanks for your interest!
-Dan

Jonathan Bohren

Feb 12, 2013, 9:15:39 AM2/12/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
As a note, the current roslaunch source is here: https://github.com/ros/ros_comm/tree/groovy-devel/tools/roslaunch

If anyone wants to experiment with features, forking on github is probably the best way to go about it.

-j

--
Jonathan Bohren
Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics

Dan Lazewatsky

Feb 12, 2013, 10:44:35 AM2/12/13
to ros-sig-roslaunch
I setup a google moderator thing where people can vote and add ideas:
https://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=209534&t=209534.40. I've already added all the ideas from the wiki. Please vote!

-Dan

Jonathan Bohren

Feb 12, 2013, 10:48:12 AM2/12/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
When I try to access it I get an "... is unauthorized for request" error

-j

Dan Lazewatsky

Feb 12, 2013, 10:52:24 AM2/12/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com