Current Perception Capabilities

Andreas ten Pas

Dec 8, 2014, 9:29:26 AM12/8/14
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
Could we try to create an overview of what perception capabilities are currently available in ROS?

I have seen: object recognition kitchen (http://wg-perception.github.io/object_recognition_core/) for object recognition.

Philipp Gorczak

Dec 8, 2014, 1:14:26 PM12/8/14
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
Great idea!

I am going to add: Care-O-Bot people detection (http://wiki.ros.org/cob_people_detection) for people/face recognition

v4hn

Dec 8, 2014, 2:35:15 PM12/8/14
On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 10:14:26AM -0800, Philipp Gorczak wrote:
> I am going to add: *Care-O-Bot people detection*
> (http://wiki.ros.org/cob_people_detection) for *people/face recognition*

Does this still work with a current ROS-distribution?
There is a groovy_devel branch, but the only release seems to be available for electric...

v4hn

Philipp Gorczak

Dec 8, 2014, 4:52:30 PM12/8/14
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, I can't help you there because I never used it. In the wiki, it says that a release is planned in the upcoming weeks though.

---- v4hn wrote ----

Bence Magyar

Dec 8, 2014, 5:22:27 PM12/8/14
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
I'll add

I'm a bit behind with the releases but let me know if you need any asap and I'll put some extra effort into releasing what is needed.

Cheers,
Bence

Vincent Rabaud

Dec 9, 2014, 8:26:04 AM12/9/14
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
Just looking at some packages:

audio:
- everything in http://wiki.ros.org/audio_common
- source separation: http://wiki.ros.org/hark
- sound identification: http://wiki.ros.org/roar
- automated speech recognition: http://wiki.ros.org/pocketsphinx
- text to speech: http://rospeex.org/ and maybe voice_text in http://wiki.ros.org/speech_recognition_msgs?distro=indigo
- speech_recognition_msgs from http://wiki.ros.org/speech_recognition_msgs?distro=indigo
vision:
- people:  http://wiki.ros.org/people and http://wiki.ros.org/head_pose_estimation
- many messages and packages with vision/perception in it
- many packages about object recognition
- many packages about SLAM
A few packages about tactile stuff but I don't know if it's just a driver or not.

Where do we go from here ? I'd say we should start threads about specific subjects and take it from there no ?

Andreas ten Pas

Dec 9, 2014, 5:31:31 PM12/9/14
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
vision:

- many messages and packages with vision/perception in it
- many packages about object recognition
- many packages about SLAM

Maybe we could try listing all of these?

Tully Foote

Dec 9, 2014, 5:50:29 PM12/9/14
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
I suggest using the wiki to collect things like this. I've created a page for this SIG http://wiki.ros.org/sig/Perception Feel free to create this sort of content there or on sub pages. Once it's been stabilized we can find a more prominent place on the wiki to put it. LIke we have a Sensor page etc.

Tully