Why doesn't RecognizedObject.msg contain the object name?

webe...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2015, 7:15:47 AM6/3/15
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
RecognizedObject.msg doesn't contain the human readable name of the object. Is there a reason for this?

Message size can't be the reason because the message can contain point cloud data and this consumes much more memory than a normal string does.

I see that there's ObjectInformation.msg and the object_information_server in the object_recognition package, but why is this overhead needed just to get a name?

Vincent Rabaud

Jun 7, 2015, 4:28:27 PM6/7/15
to ros-sig-p...@googlegroups.com
Just because there it is redundant information with the information in https://github.com/wg-perception/object_recognition_msgs/blob/master/msg/ObjectType.msg : this is the real ID of the object

Also, a name does not necessarily exist for an object. We add something meaningful for the ObjectInformation.msg as you mentioned for visualization though.

That whole object identification is tricky and would probably require a REP. We could force an object to have a description.