Re: Re: Self introduction and seeking advice on GSoC 2013

lica...@gmail.com

May 2, 2013, 3:52:13 AM5/2/13
to william, Carlos Agüero, gsoc2013, ros-sig-parameters
Hi William,

  I read the links you posted and joined the sig( pity is not so many people there).
  As I'm new to ROS and after a while, I managed to know the model that how things get done( through mater/client communication, central and P2P).
  As to the Parameter Server, follow the ros-user's mailing list, I found Thibault's draft on
  is a very good starting point, it talks about the existing parameter server interfaces and tries to come with a new one.

  Follow
, I began to know the basic interface of roscpp's "bare" and "Nodehandles" implementation. And the effort to do dynamic reconfigure through the package dynamic_reconfigure.

  To be honest, I still can't come up with quite good ideas to  implement the new Parameter Server API, but I would definitely try after I dig into the source code. BTW, appreciate the whole design of ROS, which is very elegant, I think:-)

  I will go on with tons of wikis and of course the source code:-)

Regards,
Lihang

Date: 2013-04-25 04:48
Subject: Re: Self introduction and seeking advice on GSoC 2013
Lihang,

Thanks for your interest! There has been a discussion about this project on the ros-user's mailing list:

As the discussion grew I started a ROS Special Interest Group for it here:

I would start by familiarizing yourself with the current ROS parameter system and the dynamic_reconfigure system:

Then you might continue the discussion on the SIG mailing list, offering new ideas or commenting on the existing thoughts from the ros-user's thread I linked above.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM, <lica...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi William,

  I appreciate that Carlos shows me your email, as we don't have an IRC Channel, I will do the self introduction in this mailing list:-)
  Hi all, I'm a student from China and hopefully want to work on GSoC this summer, as I viewed the organizations and  varies of ideas, the ROS project catches my eye.
  I'm a fan of robot and participated ABU Robocon last year (ranked 3rd among all universities in China) and mainly do the control of Robots.
  The idea " Develop new Parameter API for C++ ROS client " attracts me most, but I can't make it where should I to get start?
  Any suggestions please?

Regards,
Lihang

Date: 2013-04-22 13:06
Subject: Re: Is there an IRC Channel for OSRF on gsoc 2013?
Hi Lihang,

thanks for your interest on OSRF GSoC.

We do not have a dedicated IRC channel to discuss these topics. However, you always may contact with William (wil...@osrfoundation.org) for exchanging all the specific information about this project. In addition, feel free to use gsoc...@osrfoundation.org for general GSoC topics.

Regards,
Carlos

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:32 AM, <lica...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,
  I'm a student form China and I kind of like to apply for gsoc 2013, mainly concentrating on ROS, and the idea blow really attracts me:

Develop new Parameter API for C++ ROS client

  • List of prerequisites: Linux, git, familiarity with ROS
  • Description of programming skills: C++, python
  • Difficulty level: Hard
  • List of potential mentors: William Woodall
  • Detailed description: ROS has a concept called parameters, which are settings for individual computational “nodes”. Currently the built-in parameter system in ROS statically sets the parameters at launch time and cannot be changed during runtime. There is an additional system called Dynamic Reconfigure which allows ROS nodes to define dynamic parameters, but this system requires that the parameters be defined outside of the normal ROS parameter API and is not integrated into the ROS C++ client API. This task would be to redesign the built-in ROS parameter system for C++ into a functional prototype which combines the normal static parameters with the Dynamic Parameter’s feature set. There are several features that need to be tackled for this project, for example: having callbacks for when parameters change, lock on access for the parameters (thread safety), grouping of parameters, and how to define the valid ranges for parameter values. The goal is a working prototype which can be used for ROS 2.0 work, but which could be back ported into ROS 1.0 if the new system can be implemented alongside the existing one or the changes to the existing system are minimal.

I wonder if there is an IRC channel for live chatting?

Regards,
Lihang

--
William Woodall