Where is ROS-NXT for the latest ver. of UBUNTU 14.04.02?

JImmy Kendall

Mar 3, 2015, 8:07:01 PM3/3/15
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the ROS group and I'm trying to configure the latest ver. of Ubuntu for NXT work. But, it looks as if all work on the new release of ROS-NXT is dead. I was going to use the ROS as a development tool for my students, but now I'm beginning to  rethink this plan. Is there a need for manpower? If that's all, I am willing to pitch in to help.

I'm an old dog from days past and I have worked on Linux systems before, but this new stuff of Ubuntu and Catkin is just confusing to me. I have the
source for the NXT package, but I just can't seem to get it built. What I need is a "Dummies guide to ROS". The tutorials are no help, nor are the You Tube shows.

Anybody out there?

G.A. vd. Hoorn - 3ME

Mar 4, 2015, 2:29:10 AM3/4/15
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
On 4-3-2015 2:07, JImmy Kendall wrote:
[..]
> I'm an old dog from days past and I have worked on Linux systems before,
> but this new stuff of Ubuntu and Catkin is just confusing to me. I have the
> source for the NXT package, but I just can't seem to get it built. What I
> need is a "Dummies guide to ROS". The tutorials are no help, nor are the
> You Tube shows.

The tutorials assume a certain amount of existing knowledge. For a
really down-to-earth introduction into ROS, I'd recommend "A Gentle
Introduction to ROS" (agitr) by Jason M. O'Kane [1].

Gijs

[1] http://www.cse.sc.edu/~jokane/agitr/

Maximilian Sieber

Apr 9, 2015, 11:03:25 AM4/9/15
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jimmy,

I testet my script from http://wiki.ros.org/nxt on ubuntu 14.04 with indigo and hydro. still works. I strongly recommend to only use LTS versions, not latest.

If you are willing to Help there are still 2 things left to do:
1.Catkinize it. (Not really important, since rosmake still works)
2.Most important is still rewriting the Wrapper( at least for the Motors) https://pypi.python.org/pypi/nxt-python/2.2.2
See my Comment in "status of development" in this SIG

Keep in Mind, that You have to be Connected to the NXT via USB all the Time, if you don't use a RaspberryPi or similar.
If you want to do Simple Projects with Students, which don't require ROS (almost all). You should start with NXC/NBC.
It has best performance, works out of the Box and is very easy to program. Only lacks of floats, but it's easy to work around them. (I also taught my Students this first (age 11-15))
I wouldn't use the Labview-Lego Crap or Lejos (which was at least very buggy a few years ago).

mathe.is...@googlemail.com

Sep 28, 2015, 9:15:11 PM9/28/15
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
Dear Mister Sieber,

I tried to install ros-nxt on my ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS through your instructions:
http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/NXT/electric or http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/NXT/cturtle or http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/NXT/diamondback

Unfortunately, I do not know what to do when it comes to the point, where I should enter something for an older ubuntu version.

Can you help me please? What should I change for my ubuntu version (14.04.3 LTS)?

With best regards

Maximilian Sieber

Oct 12, 2015, 5:24:21 AM10/12/15
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
See http://wiki.ros.org/nxt nxt on groovy RPi for instructions. My stuff is not official. replace groovy with hydro in the script. test your ROS installation before.
P.S: Mathe kann alles andere als einfach sein.

Andreas Hansen

Apr 5, 2016, 4:36:43 PM4/5/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
Hi Sieber

I try to get the ROS-NXT to run on a ubuntu 14.04 LTS machine (on VirtualBox) with ROS Indigo.

However, I get into some issues in locating the brick.

Here is my installation procedure:
(1) I have run your script on: http://wiki.ros.org/nxt, just replacing "groovy" with "indigo".
(2) After that I have run the configuration script from: http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/NXT/electric.

In order to verify the installation using:

rosrun nxt_python touch_sensor_test.py

I get the following error message:

USB unavailable, not searching there
Bluetooth unavailable, not searching there
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ubuntu/rosbuild_ws/nxt/nxt_python/sensor_tests/touch_sensor_test.py", line 21, in <module>
    sock = nxt.locator.find_one_brick()
  File "/home/ubuntu/rosbuild_ws/nxt/nxt_python/src/nxt/locator.py", line 55, in find_one_brick
    for s in find_bricks(host, name):
  File "/home/ubuntu/rosbuild_ws/nxt/nxt_python/src/nxt/locator.py", line 48, in find_bricks
    raise NoBackendError("Neither USB nor Bluetooth could be used!")
nxt.locator.NoBackendError: Neither USB nor Bluetooth could be used!

Do you have any clue how to fix that?

Best Regards,
Andreas

Александр Светличный