ROS NXT installation on Raspberry PI with ROS Indigo

Derek Bryant

Jan 6, 2016, 1:16:53 PM1/6/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
My intention is to install ROS Groovy on the Raspberry PI and connect it via USB so I can work with (and learn) ROS on an inexpensive and available platform.

However, I have had many issues determining the proper installation procedure for Groovy. I have been working through the following:

Lately, I have been really struggling with an installation issue. If you are interested and/or could help me progress on this please follow link:

I am very new to both Linux and ROS so I have a lot of learning to do, so frame your response to my question keeping that in mind.

My question would be: Would working with ROS-NXT be any easier on Indigo? I realize there would be issues as no-one had written an instruction but I thought I would ask.

Also, I would be willing to help further the goals of ROS-NXT project but I am afraid I may not be much help at my current level of experience.

Thank you for your attention.

Alexander Moriarty

Jan 7, 2016, 11:05:12 AM1/7/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
Yes, it shouldn't be much work to upgrade to get it working on Indigo, I think the main reason holding it back is time. If you search GitHub there are some catkinized clones of the original repository, which should work on Indigo.

Installing recent versions of ROS on the RPi is much easier.

Note: I haven't tested the catkinized clones, I'm not using ros-nxt, I'm using a brick-pi and the ev3 with ev3dev and ros.
Message has been deleted

Derek Bryant

Jan 7, 2016, 1:01:28 PM1/7/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
I have committed some time to making this work and I really want to get ROS-NXT operating on the original (not PI 2) raspberry PI. My preference is to use indigo as I am more familiar with it and have a laptop with a working install of ROS indigo (Ubuntu 14).

I will give a shot to getting ROS-NXT working on the Raspberry PI (Raspian) with ROS Indigo.

Can you think of any fundamental reason this would not work? I am afraid that I am a bit beyond my depth with this project.

Derek Bryant

Jan 7, 2016, 1:47:48 PM1/7/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
I realize that detailed instructions don't exist to do this but if you (or anyone seeing this) could offer any advice or guidance on what would need to be done to install of ROS-NXT on Indigo that would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Maximilian Sieber

Jan 25, 2016, 1:47:40 PM1/25/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
What is tje problem with the rosbuild install script in indigo (no catkin)? It allways worked for me on hydro and afaik as weell on indigo. (Only some errors of unnecessary pkgs)