ROS NXT Raspberry PI - Desired Frequency Not Met Warning

Derek Bryant

Oct 4, 2016, 10:04:52 PM10/4/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
I have gotten ros-nxt to run on a raspberry pi. ROS version: Indigo.

After getting it to run and be able to use the nxt_teleop to have very basic control of the NXT on a Toshiba Satellite I moved the project to the Raspberry PI (original not 2 or 3).

At first all I received were warnings that the desired frequency was not being met to a large degree (i.e. approximately 0.3 Hz. where desired was 20). After removing all but the ultra sonic sensor and two motors I can get the NXT to respond however I had to lower the frequency down to about 2 hz. I hope it can do better than that.

My connection that I am attempting is via USB.

Could anyone give me a bit of guidance on where to start to troubleshoot where the issues might be? I have already removed any unnecessary usb devices from the PI and turned off BlueTooth on the NXT.

Thanks in advance!

Maximilian Sieber

Oct 8, 2016, 8:52:42 AM10/8/16
to ROS NXT Special Interest Group
Hi Derek,
As far as I remember, my update rates where that low as well (my config). Have you disabled Xserver on RPi and reassigned the memory, Headless? (won't really help)
I also have no clue, why this is so low. It's not the USB, because a Webcam and streaming through ROS in Parallel had no Influence on these rates.
Hava a look in "Status of development".I think the ROS-Wrapper should be rewritten with nxt-python 2.2.2
Since it's better on a PC, maybe it's worth a try on RPi3 (and maybe assigning the Process its own Core). (I also don't have one)