How to invoke QoS profile via an external XML

Vince DiLuoffo

Aug 19, 2016, 12:49:06 PM8/19/16
to ROS SIG NG ROS

Hi,
Looking for some guidance on how to invoke a QoS profile via an external XML file. The design documentation states that using rmw_qos_profile_system_default (

RMW_QOS_POLICY_HISTORY_SYSTEM_DEFAULT,

RMW_QOS_POLICY_DEPTH_SYSTEM_DEFAULT,

RMW_QOS_POLICY_RELIABILITY_SYSTEM_DEFAULT,

RMW_QOS_POLICY_DURABILITY_SYSTEM_DEFAULT) should be used and looking at the showimage.cpp file provides this line of code

Set quality of service profile based on command line options.

rmw_qos_profile_t custom_qos_profile = rmw_qos_profile_default;

Is the custom_qos_profile the same as qos_library name?

Any snippet of code or pointer to example would be helpful?

Thanks

Vince

William Woodall

Aug 24, 2016, 3:37:48 PM8/24/16
to ROS SIG NG ROS
If you use the "_SYSTEM_DEFAULT" options then you should be able to change behavior using the DDS config files. However, we don't ever do this since it would make anything that used an external config file less portable when changing DDS implementations.

Unfortunately, I don't understand your other questions.

> Is the custom_qos_profile the same as qos_library name?

What is "qos_library name" mean in this context?

> Any snippet of code or pointer to example would be helpful?

I'm still not clear on what you tried, why you don't think it is working, and what exactly you'd like to do. Perhaps you could try to rephrase your questions?

William Woodall
ROS Development Team

Vince DiLuoffo

Aug 26, 2016, 11:50:50 AM8/26/16
to ROS SIG NG ROS

My understanding is QoS Library is a named set of QoS profiles (RTI implementation). From the custom_qos_profile I was asking if that can be replaced with an qos_library _name or qos_profile to point at an external xml file. I understand that ROS needs to be neutral in its implementation. Thanks for the clarification

Thanks
Vince

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Vince DiLuoffo <vjd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
Looking for some guidance on how to invoke a QoS profile via an external XML file. The design documentation states that using rmw_qos_profile_system_default (

RMW_QOS_POLICY_HISTORY_SYSTEM_DEFAULT,

RMW_QOS_POLICY_DEPTH_SYSTEM_DEFAULT,

RMW_QOS_POLICY_RELIABILITY_SYSTEM_DEFAULT,

RMW_QOS_POLICY_DURABILITY_SYSTEM_DEFAULT) should be used and looking at the showimage.cpp file provides this line of code

Set quality of service profile based on command line options.

rmw_qos_profile_t custom_qos_profile = rmw_qos_profile_default;

Is the custom_qos_profile the same as qos_library name?

Any snippet of code or pointer to example would be helpful?

Thanks

Vince

William Woodall

Aug 26, 2016, 4:31:35 PM8/26/16
to ROS SIG NG ROS
Ah, I see what you mean. No currently that is not possible. We don't expose, at least for now, the idea of named configurations that can be configured externally. The _SYSTEM_DEFAULT values are drawn from the system defaults in the underlying DDS implementation, which can be changed from an XML configuration, but those are process wide afaik.