Status of project and ROCON vs Multimaster FKIE

Shawn Schaerer

Jan 7, 2016, 7:39:09 PM1/7/16
to ROS Multi-Master Special Interest Group
Hi,

I have two questions
1. are the projects still active?
2. what is the difference between ROCON and Multicaster FKIE?

Thanks

Daniel Stonier

Jan 9, 2016, 1:10:37 PM1/9/16
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
I believe they are both still alive and both quite similar. Multimaster FKIE will get you very quickly to a system which is open and connected everywhere and this is great for research groups who just want to get a multi-master spanning ros network up and running as quickly as possible. ROCON gateways started in the same way, but evolved to working around hubs with a few patterns developed for how connections should be shared (flipping and pulling). For example, the main use case for a robot is to not block incoming connections, but be willing to share them. Instead of all the masters talking to each other, the rocon gateways communicate on hubs (aka bulletin boards). If there's a hub in every computer, it starts looking like FKIE. If there's only one hub, then it follows a central workspace style with less network chatter.

Daniel.

Shawn Schaerer

Jan 20, 2016, 11:14:00 PM1/20/16
to ROS Multi-Master Special Interest Group
Thanks Daniel,
I am going to look at ROCON to see if it meets our needs.

Vikrant Shah

Jun 6, 2017, 4:20:36 PM6/6/17
to ROS Multi-Master Special Interest Group
Shawn,
I was curious to see if ROCON worked for you guys and if you have any tips for someone trying to cooperate between multiple robots.

Cheers,
Vik

Shawn Schaerer

Jun 6, 2017, 6:27:11 PM6/6/17
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vik,

We have not looked at ROCON yet.  We are thinking about different technologies to provide multi-robot systems.  We might revisit this in summer.
Shawn