Best ROS supported drone

Shawn Schaerer

Dec 24, 2015, 7:39:12 PM12/24/15
to ROS SIG Micro Air Vehicle
I'm developing an multi drone demo and want to know which drone would be the best to work with ROS?

I was thinking about 3DR Solo or Parrot Bepop.
Dji phantom is out because it does not seem that we have access to the autopilot.

Thanks

Isaac Isao Saito-Yanagisawa

Mar 31, 2016, 9:56:03 PM3/31/16
to ros-s...@googlegroups.com
That's a great question to be asked during/pre holiday season!

In fact I'm not sure why no clear response to this topic has ever been made. Here's what I found after my small research:

* There's UAV section on Robot page http://wiki.ros.org/Robots#UAVs although some of them are pretty old.
* ROS pkg for DJI has just been release for the first time. wiki.ros.org/dji_onboardsdk_ros or https://github.com/dji-sdk/Onboard-SDK-ROS
* Not entirely sure if 3DR is interested in ROS integration or not. A thread http://diydrones.com/group/solo/forum/topics/has-anybody-used-ros-mavros-on-a-solo

I appreciate if anyone who have more insights on this.

Isaac

Víctor MV

Apr 1, 2016, 7:05:20 AM4/1/16
to ROS SIG Micro Air Vehicle
Hi Isaac,

Erle Robotics offers Erle-Copter as a fully open source drone with ROS support and powered by the APM flight stack.

We've been working on offering drones with ROS support for more than a year already and recently introduced a Gazebo simulation support category for Erle-Copter.
There're video tutorials such as this one that will help you get started with our technology.
Hope it helps.

Víctor.