[Discourse.ros.org] [rosjava] Android SDK Version Compatibility

Stephan Opfer

May 4, 2016, 2:06:43 PM5/4/16
to ros-si...@googlegroups.com
Stephan_Opfer
May 4

Dear ROSJava-Users,

do you have experience with newest Android SDK Versions and rosjava?

One of our students developed an app for sending ROS Nav Goals to AMCL on a TurtleBot. It was developed for his phone running Android SDK 4.0.3 and it also runs on Android SDK 4.1.2. Unfortunately it has problems on an Nexus 5 with Android SDK 6.0.1.

Maybe, someone has some tips about things, that changed between these SDK-Versions, that are relevant for rosjava? For example, we recognized a parallelisation problem related to the "lifecycle" of our app and the times when different methods of the app are called. As a result the roscore was not running, when the first subscribers were initialised. I think we fixed that, but still have problems with receiving messages on the phone.

We are using our own costum multi-master solution, which is simple based on a udp-proxy node. The proxy receives local ROS-Messages and forwards them over a multicast udp socket. All other udp-proxy nodes in the network receive the udp messages and inject them to their local ROS system. Therefore these udp-proxy software exists in Java (on the phone) and C++ (on the turtlebot-laptop), both autogenerated.

The app is available here: https://github.com/carpe-noctem-cassel/cnc-turtlebots/tree/master/ttb_apps
The udp-proxy generator is available here: https://github.com/carpe-noctem-cassel/cnc-turtlebots/tree/master/ttb_udp_proxy

Kind regards,
Stephan

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences