[Discourse.ros.org] [rosjava] Rosjava_extras into a metapackage?

Ernesto Corbellini

Feb 25, 2016, 1:21:43 PM2/25/16
to ros-si...@googlegroups.com
ecorbellini
February 25

Hi all!
I'm trying out the new Discourse site and I would like to ask your opinion on a particular subject.

I'm working on a pull request to include the version of actionlib for rosjava that I wrote into the rosjava_extras repository and I was thinking if it wouldn't be better to convert that repository into a metapackage. Each contributed library will be included as a stand-alone package. This has some advantages:

  • It's easier to include a new package
  • The dependencies are separated and more clear to follow
  • Each library can have it's own independent version number

Currently there is only a Hokuyo library so I guess this problem wasn't so evident.
I would like to hear opinions.

Visit Topic to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences

stonier

May 31, 2016, 9:17:26 PM5/31/16
to ros-si...@googlegroups.com
stonier
June 1

The rosjava repositories are already using gradle to handle projects and subprojects in exactly the same way as catkin does it for c++ and python repositories.

When catkinising rosjava, my first naive thought was just to do it the catkin way because that is the way I'm used to. That has two problems - it gets complicated because rosjava isn't using cmake/catkin directly and also...it's not the java way. For me it might be easy to follow, but for java coders it is something new/extra they have to learn. We reasoned it was better to let java people do things the java way as much as possible.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond