ros indigo for rasbian?

Stephan Sahm

May 12, 2014, 1:30:24 PM5/12/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I got my own raspberry pi a year ago and now collected some ros-skills. I really like to use ros on the raspberry pi. Currently, the best supported ros-version seems to be ros groovy (http://wiki.ros.org/groovy/Installation/Raspbian).

Is it planned to port those (wet) packages to (upcoming) ros indigo?

I would be very happy about it, especially because of the long term support for Ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks,
Stephan

Paul Mathieu

May 12, 2014, 5:02:56 PM5/12/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephan,

As there is no port of Ubuntu for armv6, ROS has to be ported to Debian. While Debian is very close to Ubuntu, there are many reasons that make that port non completely trivial. It was done for ROS Groovy a little more than a year ago, and it would be great that it be done for later versions of ROS as well, especially since the infrastructure evolves towards more support for non-Ubuntu platforms.

Since this is something that should be doable over a few week-ends, I will probably be looking into it in the near future.

Stay tuned!

Paul

Stephan Sahm

Jul 4, 2014, 3:04:06 PM7/4/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,

it is almost two months ago that I asked whether later versions than groovy will be supported for Raspbian. I simply want to ask whether you had time to look into it. It would be great, no question, to have hydro or indigo for raspbian.

Hoping to hear from you,
Stephan

Paul Mathieu

Jul 4, 2014, 5:56:25 PM7/4/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephan,

I haven't had much time to work on this up until now, but I'll spend a few cycles on it this week-end.
I am planning on packaging hydro, since it has received a lot of attention and is the most complete distribution.
While packaging the entire distribution might be quite long, I'll make incremental updates as I work on it. Please let me know if you have specific needs, so that I can focus on that in particular.

Cheers,

Paul

Stephan Sahm

Jul 5, 2014, 3:23:12 AM7/5/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,

I am very happy to here such good news. I myself need ROS on the RaspberryPi mainly to connect the sensors on the robot with the entire ros-system.

My favourite would be to have support for openni2_camera and openni2_launch (but openni would probably do it too, however openni2 shall be much fast on the pi). openni2_tracker of course would be nice to have too, but I heard that there are some problems, I am not sure how serious they are.

My second favourite would be uvc_camera. A driver for usb webcams, favouritely one which supports single as well as stereo use-cases like uvc_camera.
Accordingly image_proc, stereo_image_proc and image_transport would be very great.

Thank you very much!
Good luck!

Stephan

Paul Mathieu

Jul 6, 2014, 6:21:12 AM7/6/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephan,

I have built about a hundred packages for hydro, including ros_comm, tf, actionlib and everything up to image_proc, stereo_image_proc and image_transport. I am short of binary packages for OpenNI and PCL, but I should be able to produce them soon, and then come up with the rest of your wishlist, and more!

In the mean time, it would help a lot if you could try the repository by installing and testing ros-hydro-image-proc, for example.

You will have to add the repository's key:

wget http://64.91.227.57/repos/rospbian.key -O - | sudo apt-key add -

Let me know if anything is broken!

Cheers,

Paul

Stephan Sahm

Jul 6, 2014, 7:52:54 AM7/6/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

great news!
I just tried to install ros-hydro-ros-comm, for a first step, and got the message, that some packages are not available:

$ sudo apt-get install ros-hydro-ros-comm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 ros-hydro-ros-comm : Depends: ros-hydro-roslisp but it is not going to be installed

$ sudo apt-get install ros-hydro-roslisp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 ros-hydro-roslisp : Depends: sbcl but it is not installable

$ sudo apt-get install sbcl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package sbcl is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  sbcl-source sbcl-doc

E: Package 'sbcl' has no installation candidate
​​
​​
What would I have to do to get sbcl?

Thank you very much for all your effort!

hoping to get it to work quite soon,
Stephan

Paul Mathieu

Jul 6, 2014, 9:40:03 AM7/6/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
I removed the dependency to roslisp in ros_comm.
If there is a need for roslisp for RPi, I'll try building a sbcl package for it.

Stephan, can you try it again?

Stephan Sahm

Jul 6, 2014, 10:34:33 AM7/6/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the fast response again.

I tried and installed ros-hydro-ros-comm successfully.
The next step was to create a workspace.
I initialized the workspace properly with wstool init; wstool merge (a very simple rosinstall); wstool update -- all that worked. catkin_init_workspace afterwards worked, too, but catkin_make failed:

pi@pi ~/ros-hydro/wet $ catkin_make
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/ros/hydro/bin/catkin_make", line 15, in <module>
    from catkin.builder import cmake_input_changed
  File "/opt/ros/hydro/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/catkin/builder.py", line 61, in <module>
    from catkin_pkg.workspaces import ensure_workspace_marker
ImportError: cannot import name ensure_workspace_marker

I have to admit, I never saw something like that before.
Hopefully it is as easily fixable as the first problem.

I'm curious how to continue.
cheers,
Stephan

Stephan Sahm

Jul 6, 2014, 10:49:51 AM7/6/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Excuse me very much for sending the report that fast to you. I fixed it - it was a mixing between apt-get and pip on my machine (http://answers.ros.org/question/181910/catkin_make-fails-with-importerror-cannot-import-name-ensure_workspace_marker/)

(I think the reason that I have done so at all was that I needed for groovy really up to date packages due to a change in version).

I go on testing image_proc.

Stephan Sahm

Jul 6, 2014, 1:08:36 PM7/6/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Paul,

I now successfully checked stereo_image_proc and image_view stereo_view together with a version from uvc_camera which I myself build in my own workspace.
I saw two images and a disparity-image. Everything quite slow, but it worked. The next thing I would try is to renew the calibrations for the cameras.

It might be  good if you include the uvc_camera driver from the camera_umd package  (http://wiki.ros.org/uvc_camera) - it is wet and seems to make no difficulty.

I found some further favourites, which would be good to have:
- ros-hydro-camera-umd
- ros-hydro-image-transport-plugins
ros-hydro-rqt-common-plugins

Thank you very much!!
it is great to see things working in hydro which worked before under groovy.

Looking forward to openni2 (or openni) driver!

cheers,
Stephan

Stephan Sahm

Jul 7, 2014, 6:10:58 AM7/7/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,

after a lot of search, I found a git-repository where someone collected all fixes for Openni2 to port it to raspberrypi:

debian-master / debian-develop are the latest branches which shall be used instead of the old branch raspberrypi-fixes
​​
 (personal correspondence to Hauke Wintjen)

there is also a small wiki

I hope this can simplify things crucially.

Please let me know, if you succeed in porting openni2_camera and openni2_launch for hydro

with best wishes,
Stephan

Paul Mathieu

Jul 7, 2014, 7:07:02 AM7/7/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the help!
But don't worry, I just finished the debian binary packages for openni, openni2 and pcl. I don't remember where I pulled the debian control files from, but they required very small changes on my part to produce usable debian packages.
I will continue building ros packages tonight.

Stay tuned!

Paul

Kobitharun Kunasekaran

Jul 11, 2014, 2:28:39 PM7/11/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
I'm just getting started with ROS on RPi and looking forward to this!

Jorge gusa

Aug 24, 2014, 3:32:06 PM8/24/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

Thank you very much for compiling ROS for Raspberry. I am just staring with ROS.

After installing ROS with the repos Paul Mathieu gave using only "sudo apt-get install ros-hydro-ros-comm" I was able to create Catkin workspace and a dummy package that only shows an output.

The problem I have is related with libboost . I get the next error: "make[2]: * No rule to make target '/usr/lib/libbost_signals-mt.so'," that is the same that is showed here : http://answers.ros.org/question/134796/problem-example-ros-c-no-rule-to-make-target-libboost_signals/ . So what I did was creating simbolic links to all the libraries that weren't avaible in usr/lib but where in arm-linux-gnueabihf in my case :

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libboost_signals.so /usr/lib/libboost_signals-mt.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libboost_filesystem.so /usr/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/liblog4cxx.so  /usr/lib/liblog4cxx.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libboost_regex.so /usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libboost_date_time.so /usr/lib/libboost_date_time-mt.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libboost_system.so /usr/lib/libboost_system-mt.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libboost_thread.so /usr/lib/libboost_thread-mt.so

I am afraid this is not the solution because it complains that they are different versions those that are in /usr/lib .

In conclusion I think the libraries are installed but with different names.

Could you let me know what I am doing wrong? Sorry if it is a really basic question but I don't have too much experience.

Thank you very much for your hard work and your help.

Kind regards.