Indigo on Raspberry PI 3

Shawn Schaerer

Apr 11, 2016, 10:25:06 PM4/11/16
to ros-sig-embedded
I have put indigo on my RPI3 following my own procedure that I created for the dragonboard 410C (https://shawnschaerer.wordpress.com/2015/12/31/ros-indigo-on-the-dragonboard-410c/)

Seems to perform the same as the DB410C.  I will know more later this week when I put MoveIT, Trac_IK and descartes on it.

Shawn Schaerer

Apr 11, 2016, 10:27:09 PM4/11/16
to ros-sig-embedded
And just to point out the this is Ubuntu 14.04 chroot running on Debian jessie

Tully Foote

Apr 12, 2016, 3:52:02 AM4/12/16
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shawn,

We are building ROS Kinetic for arm64 now on Debian Jessie. If you have a chance it would be great to know if they're working for you. I've drafted instructions here: http://wiki.ros.org/kinetic/Installation/Debian The number of packages is quickly growing as we push toward a beta release.

Tully

Shawn Schaerer

Apr 12, 2016, 9:19:06 AM4/12/16
to ros-sig-embedded
Hi Tully,

The RPI3 is 32bit.  Is there going to be a 32bit version of Kinetic for ARM?

Shawn

Rohan Agrawal

Apr 12, 2016, 11:28:00 AM4/12/16
to ros-sig-embedded

The Pi3 has a 64 bit processor, but the RPI foundation only does armhf(32 bit) builds of Raspbian.

I don't know if they are planning an arm64 build of Raspbian, but since the 32 bit build doesn't have any of the 64 bit shared objects I don't think you can run 64 bit (dynamically linked) binaries.

Tully, is Kinetic also going to be available for Debian Jessie armhf?

Rohan

--
Rohan

Jackie Kay

Apr 12, 2016, 11:51:10 AM4/12/16
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
yes, the Kinetic buildfarm does armhf and arm64 builds for both Jessie and Xenial. It's a lower priority to support Debian and ARM builds in the initial release, but we do encourage maintainers to fix platform-specific problems that the build farm finds.

Tully Foote

Apr 13, 2016, 5:22:41 AM4/13/16
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com

The RPI3 is 32bit. Is there going to be a 32bit version of Kinetic for ARM?

There are Xenial armhf builds. I'm kind of disappointed to hear that it seems that the Raspberry Pi community has not started supporting aarch64 images. Why have the armv8 chip and not use it.

yes, the Kinetic buildfarm does armhf and arm64 builds for both Jessie and Xenial. It's a lower priority to support Debian and ARM builds in the initial release, but we do encourage maintainers to fix platform-specific problems that the build farm finds.

Unfortunately we have only demonstrated the ability to build armhf and arm64 for Xenial and Jessie both. However we've tried to pick a covering set by turning on Jessie arm64 and Xenial armhf.

We can consider changing the supported architectures, however we need to trade off the costs of running the buildfarm. Note that the armhf and arm64 builds take close to an order of magnitude more server time.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences

or, click here to unsubscribe via email.

Shawn Schaerer

Apr 13, 2016, 11:49:30 AM4/13/16
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Shawn_Schaerer
April 13

@tfoote does this mean that only 64bit Jessie for the time being?

Rohan Agrawal

Apr 13, 2016, 11:49:31 AM4/13/16
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
rohbotics
April 13

As far as I understand it, Raspbian doesn't have any builds that target an architecture above armv6 with hard float. (The original Raspberry Pi). They didn't want to support multiple arch builds, and they don't want to confuse beginners.

Other than not wanting to confuse people, the RPI has some reasons to not run 64bit software.

The Pi 3 only has 1GB of ram, so going to 64bit will consume more of that memory storing pointers.

The speedup of the clock is enough to justify going to the newer chip, even if the newer 64 bit stuff isn't used. Just like Pi1->Pi2.

tfoote

Apr 13, 2016, 1:30:02 PM4/13/16
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
tfoote
April 13

@Shawn_Schaerer for the moment yes.

Though if what @rohbotics says is right about all the images being armv6 + hard float, the armhf builds are not necessarily raspbian compatible either. Though the Pi 2 can run standard debian armhf binaries according to this: http://sjoerd.luon.net/posts/2015/02/debian-jessie-on-rpi2/

There is a Debian wiki page on this here: https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi with more info on the Raspberry Pi 2 here: https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi2

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

Shawn_Schaerer
April 13
@tfoote does this mean that only 64bit Jessie for the time being?

Shawn Schaerer

Apr 14, 2016, 9:33:28 AM4/14/16
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Shawn_Schaerer
April 14

RPI3 is different so I hope that they will updated it.
Anyway it works with Ubuntu 14.04 in chroot on indigo.

We are planning on using an ARM A53 based solution for our products and RPI3 or DB410C are great platforms to use.
hopefully Kinetic will be supported on the RPI3 somehow

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

tfoote
April 13
@Shawn_Schaerer for the moment yes. Though if what @rohbotics says is right about all the images being armv6 + hard float, the armhf builds are not necessarily raspbian compatible either. Though the Pi 2 can run standard debian armhf binaries according to this: http://sjoerd.luon.net/posts/2015/02…

suforeman

Jan 5, 2017, 4:22:36 PM1/5/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
suforeman
January 5

(old thread but some additional background)

The RPi 3 CPU core was picked because it's a great 32 bit processor (and happens to also work in 64bit mode). That said, the 1GB of RAM and the rate at which the hardware is being iterated, there has not been much movement in the Linux community to put effort into an arm64 build.

I understand the interesting in ROS on Raspbian. That said, we do have a workaround now that Ubuntu Xenial (with and without GUI) is available and supports the RPi3 hardware well.

It does leave limited options for RPi-like hardware which has focused on Raspbian Jessie as their prefered OS.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Shawn_Schaerer
April 14
RPI3 is different so I hope that they will updated it. Anyway it works with Ubuntu 14.04 in chroot on indigo. We are planning on using an ARM A53 based solution for our products and RPI3 or DB410C are great platforms to use. hopefully Kinetic will be supported on the RPI3 somehow

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Rohan Agrawal

Jan 5, 2017, 8:06:41 PM1/5/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
rohbotics
January 6

Just adding on, as you mentioned Xenial images, Here is a link to a bunch of Ubuntu 16.04 Pi2/3 images, offering a variety of desktop and non desktop variants.

Download

We have done what we can to optimise the builds for the Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3 but microSDHC I/O throughput is a bottleneck so we highly recommend that you use a Class 6 or Class 10 microSD

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

suforeman
January 5
(old thread but some additional background) The RPi 3 CPU core was picked because it's a great 32 bit processor (and happens to also work in 64bit mode). That said, the 1GB of RAM and the rate at which the hardware is being iterated, there has not been much movement in the Linux community to put …

suforeman

Jan 5, 2017, 8:19:41 PM1/5/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
suforeman
January 6

Yes. I've responded to a couple ROS Answers posts, suggesting those images. I suggest we continue to them as the starting pion to most. It would reduce the frustration level for many.

While those images are not perfect for everyone, they are likely the best option for most users on RPi hardware.

Aside: the RPi3 w/ onboard wifi support is the basis for the LoCoRo (low cost robot) project.

YuehChuan

Jan 6, 2017, 7:37:36 PM1/6/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
YuehChuan
January 7

We got raspberry pi3 running on ubuntu16.04(MATE) with ROS kinetic, but it's 32bit.
Here's is the image if anyone need.

duckietown-bunny - HackMD

duckietown-bunny === ![](https://i.imgur.com/Lwgsi3c.png) --- a fork from MIT autonomy open-sour

It's original for project "duckietown" and "duckietown-bunny"
http://www.duckietown-bunny.com/tutorials Enjoy :hamburger:

Shawn Schaerer

Jan 10, 2017, 3:19:17 PM1/10/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Shawn_Schaerer
January 10

Do you know if the RPI Camera works? I am about to try mate 16.04 using your image.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

YuehChuan
January 7
We got raspberry pi3 running on ubuntu16.04(MATE) with ROS kinetic, but it's 32bit. Here's is the image if anyone need. It's original for project "duckietown" and "duckietown-bunny" http://www.duckietown-bunny.com/tutorials Enjoy :hamburger:

Rohan Agrawal

Jan 10, 2017, 8:11:58 PM1/10/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
rohbotics
January 11

The Pi cam works on Ubuntu Mate 16.04.

There is a ros node for it here:

UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node

raspicam_node - ROS node for camera module of Raspberry Pi

The documentation is a touch out of date, but we are working on it.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Shawn_Schaerer
January 10
Do you know if the RPI Camera works? I am about to try mate 16.04 using your image.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

YuehChuan

Jan 10, 2017, 9:56:46 PM1/10/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
YuehChuan
January 11

Yes with normal raspberry pi CSI interface camera or fisheye camera
Here is how you start it

Camera test - HackMD

Camera test === Hey Bunny! Wake up! ![](https://i.imgur.com/FuMKr2G.jpg) #### TODO * start camera n

The original project is base on RPI2 see here http://duckietown.mit.edu/materials.html
If have further questions, leave me messages :slight_smile:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Shawn_Schaerer
January 10
Do you know if the RPI Camera works? I am about to try mate 16.04 using your image.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Shawn Schaerer

Jan 10, 2017, 10:14:20 PM1/10/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Shawn_Schaerer
January 11

Thank. I will try it out.

Hunter L. Allen

Apr 19, 2017, 7:51:49 AM4/19/17
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
allenh1
April 19
suforeman:

The RPi 3 CPU core was picked because it's a great 32 bit processor (and happens to also work in 64bit mode). That said, the 1GB of RAM and the rate at which the hardware is being iterated, there has not been much movement in the Linux community to put effort into an arm64 build

So I've got my pi 3 running in 64 bit mode with Gentoo. I'm slowly updating ROS ebuilds to work on arm64, but have not done them all yet or tested ROS compilation on the architecture (because I don't want to mess up my portage tree, as getting 64 bit mode was quite a hassle).

That said, I might attempt a 64 bit ROS Gentoo image, and could upload it for everyone if there is demand for it.