Real time robot control on Linux

Dejan Pangercic

Jul 16, 2015, 1:24:29 PM7/16/15
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
I am looking for some pointers from those that run your robots on Linux in real time. I'd really appreciate if you could tell me:
- which robot/use case do you have
- which HW architecture are you using (e.g. arm vs x86)
- which Linux distro
- which real time kernel (e.g. xenoami vs rt_preempt)
- which scheduler
- which peripherals (e.g. CAN, Ethercat, serial, etc.)
- which application framework (e.g. written from scratch, ROS, Orocos, )

Thanks upfront, D.

Víctor MV

Jul 17, 2015, 5:03:24 AM7/17/15
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dejan,

We do run our robots based in Linux. There it goes:
  • Available are copters, rovers and planes but we have also built some other vehicles based on the same brain.
  • ARM
  • Ubuntu Snappy Core mainly
  • RT_PREEMPT although we found that in many scenarios the simple PREEMPT option of the kernel actually performs pretty good.
  • SCHED_FIFO
  • SPI, I2C, Ethernet (we expect to use CAN soon)
  • Several of our vehicles are using APM bridged to ROS (through mavros) but we have really promising internal prototypes of everything based in ROS.
Regards,