Experimental Indigo binaries for ARM

Austin Hendrix

Aug 15, 2014, 8:29:28 PM8/15/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
I’m pleased to announce that I have experimental binary builds of ROS available for ARM and ready for wider testing.

I have builds of the ros-core and ros-base metapackages, along with PCL and the navigation stack.

Notably missing are the OpenNi drivers, rviz, moveit, and many other packages. I’m planning to work on them, but they’re not currently available.

Installation instructions are available at http://wiki.ros.org/indigo/Installation/UbuntuARM , and the full build status is available at http://packages.namniart.com/repos/status/indigo.html (green packages are built, red packages failed to build).

-Austin
signature.asc

Paul Mathieu

Aug 16, 2014, 4:43:42 AM8/16/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Austin,

Great job!
For OpenNI, I managed to build a set of .deb packages for RPi a few weeks ago.

Here is the list of packages that I built:

openni:
libopenni0_1.5.4.0-9+rpi_armhf.deb
openni-utils_1.5.4.0-9+rpi_armhf.deb
libopenni-java_1.5.4.0-9+rpi_armhf.deb
openni-doc_1.5.4.0-9+rpi_all.deb
libopenni-dev_1.5.4.0-9+rpi_armhf.deb

openni2:
libopenni2-dev_2.1.0.4-2+rpi_armhf.deb
openni2-doc_2.1.0.4-2+rpi_all.deb
libopenni2-0_2.1.0.4-2+rpi_armhf.deb

ps-engine:
ps-engine_5.0.3.3-3+rpi2_armhf.deb

I am uploading them to http://64.91.227.57/repos/rospbian right now. But my connection is terrible and it will take a while.
If you can't use these binaries directly, I think I kept the source packages somewhere, so that it might help you build binaries for Ubuntu ARM. Just let me know.

Cheers,

Paul

Robert Teeter

Aug 17, 2014, 6:26:41 PM8/17/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com

Paul - is It possible to get the updated installation instructions for the Indigo/Raspberry PI   With all the apt-get distribution sites listed someware?

Bob Teeter

Paul Mathieu

Aug 17, 2014, 6:49:45 PM8/17/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

> Paul - is It possible to get the updated installation instructions for the Indigo/Raspberry PI With all the apt-get distribution sites listed someware?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any build of Indigo for RPi. I started a build of Hydro a while ago, I'll update the wiki with the corresponding instructions soon.

I'll also look into building core Indigo packages for Raspbian in upcoming weeks.

Paul

Robert Teeter

Aug 17, 2014, 9:25:36 PM8/17/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Paul - I find the hardest problem is keeping up with the releases and getting them documented.  I started the original docs on the Raspberry Pi build on the Groovy build.  It appears that that is also the last set of documentation generated.

One thing that I would like to see is a 2 part build on any platform.  Part #1 is the control side/desktop build that talks to a ros server and controls/displays what is being done.
Part #2 is the server side where control information sent from the control/display side is implemented.

The purpose is so that 2 Raspberry Pi could be used to start a basic environment and software could be added or changed to simulate the correct operation of a robot and it controller.  It also would be a great starting place as all the stuff works in the demo and then you add your custom/additional parts to it and can use it to verify if anything broke.

Bob