ROS/TurtleBot Education Project - Conclusion Email

Mariana Liebman-Pelaez

Aug 31, 2014, 1:03:07 PM8/31/14
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

As my internship has come to an end this summer, I am concluding my work on the Open Source Robotics Foundation (OSRF) ROS/TurtleBot Online Education Project.  Before I take off, I’d like to take the time to share some concluding thoughts regarding future work, as well as provide a brief summary of the work done this summer.

Our main goal with this project is creating an online resource that consolidates and facilitates access to ROS educational material.  At this point, the website has some example ROS educational material (TurtleBot and ROS introduction tutorials), as well as detailed instructions on how to add and use material from the site.  On the site’s homepage, we have also listed suggestions for other online resources that future contributors can transfer to this site.  The site still needs a bit of work, and as people begin to use it, certain features may be added or tweaked.  However, it is ready to be used and ready for people to start adding material.

This leads me to discuss future thoughts we have for this project. Our hopes are that this site can serve as a platform to either host material in the ROS education community or as a starting point for others working on similar projects.  Right now, the biggest hurdle is uploading content to the site and providing incentives or resources required to get people to contribute.  Though the site is currently only designed to present material, one thing to think about for future development is making the site more interactive for students looking to learn ROS.  Finally, this site is originally focused on teaching ROS.  However, we think this platform (whether it be this site or similar resources) might be able to serve the larger robotics education community to consolidate online resources and make them more accessible.

If anyone decides to pick up this project, here is the link to the GitHub page where the site is hosted: https://github.com/tfoote/design/blob/gh-pages/index.md.  I will be available to answer any related questions at MLiebma...@gmail.com.

Thank you to all who contributed on this project!

Best,

Mariana Liebman-Pelaez

--
Mariana Liebman-Pelaez