Leveraging Enterprise ROS for the objectives of the Education SIG

Joe Tojek

May 26, 2012, 12:18:40 PM5/26/12
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps should be driven in tandem with Enterprise Ros?

What is the rationale for this? JT
This was with regard to the ubuntu distro - to avoid duplicating effort until there is enough critical mass to justify an edu edition. [DS]

Thanks Daniel, looking at the Enterprise SIG objectives, it looks like exactly what we need. Is it correct to think that our focus can shift to helping determine / influence the list of 3rd party tools that get integrated into the distro? And will Enterprise result in one or more iso images that people can download and install on a bootable flash drive as described here? http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Yes, I expect so (re 3rd party tools and images). I have a control colleague watching that sig, but it would be good if one of us did also [DS].
Bootable DVDs tend to be really slow for boot-up and loading of other resources. Also, a USB stick can be created so that it has a bunch of persistent storage space, which will reduce the complexity of integrating the development environment with a student's laptop.

Joe Tojek

May 29, 2012, 7:22:49 PM5/29/12
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Assuming 1) that the Enterprise ROS SIG will develop an iso image that can be used in an educational / lab setting, then the objectives of this SIG could shift to the following:

1. Provide instructions for installing the image on a bootable USB key and using it in a lab setting.
2. Provide enhanced ROS tutorial content for educational audiences.
3. Provide ROS based lessons for educational settings and objectives.
4. Provide a curriculum map that aligns ROS lessons (from 3) to STEM or other Common Core educational standards.

Does this direction make sense? I feel like the objectives discussed at ROSCon around the bootable USB are already achieved by Clearpath in their ongoing development of a bootable USB for Turtlebot as described here http://store.clearpathrobotics.com/collections/turtlebot/products/turtlebot-assembled

What thoughts do others have?

Mac Mason

May 29, 2012, 7:40:51 PM5/29/12
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Joe Tojek <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Assuming 1) that the Enterprise ROS SIG will develop an iso image that can be used in an educational / lab setting, then the objectives of this SIG could shift to the following:
>
> 1. Provide instructions for installing the image on a bootable USB key and using it in a lab setting.
> 2. Provide enhanced ROS tutorial content for educational audiences.
> 3. Provide ROS based lessons for educational settings and objectives.
> 4. Provide a curriculum map that aligns ROS lessons (from 3) to STEM  or other Common Core educational standards.

I agree. I might add a step 0, in which we try to ascertain who is
using ROS in an educational setting, and what they want, and who isn't
but wants to be, and what they want.

--M

--
Julian "Mac" Mason      m...@cs.duke.edu      www.cs.duke.edu/~mac

Joe Tojek

May 30, 2012, 1:50:44 AM5/30/12
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Good idea Mac, I took a stab at this in the new Needs discussion thread. Please take a look. It will be helpful if we each take a step back and describe what we are seeking to support.

Joe Tojek

Jun 1, 2012, 8:39:17 AM6/1/12
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
I just checked in with the Enterprise SIG and they have only 3 posts since ROSCon. Do you think there is a chance they will not get to it in time for Groovy? If so, what does that mean for our effort?

Joe Tojek

Jun 10, 2012, 9:40:45 AM6/10/12
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
I posted in Enterprise SIG to see if they are still targeting a Groovy release.