ROS Edu SIG: Educational audience, objectives and settings statement draft for review...

Joe Tojek

Jun 20, 2012, 12:59:33 PM6/20/12
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings -

I have tried to bring together all of the conversations and threads to compile into a single voice our intended audience, educational objectives and settings for the output of this project. Hopefully, I have collected and synthesized this effectively.  Please provide your comments and feedback and when the dust settles we can add this to the wiki.  My next step is a thread to collect and discuss use cases. Thanks for all of your great input to make this possible, every little bit helps. Joe

Primary Audience

  • College graduate level users worldwide who intend to use robotic software and systems for their research, education or independent projects.
  • Have programming experience in C++, Python, Java or C, but may not have experience with complex robotic middleware software application integrations and development on Linux using ROS.
  • May have some robotics hardware experience but not with the Turtlebot platform or its Kinect based rgbD vision sensor.

Educational Objectives

Develop an "Introduction to software for robotic systems" course package to provide students the tools and support to implement theoretical results from their research on real robotic hardware or by using the Gazebo 3D multi-robot simulation software with dynamics. Targeting the ROS Groovy release and the Turtlebot hardware platform, this package will combine and align an online open source course text with a bootable iso image that includes all of the necessary software components in a “ready to go” package that reduces the setup time and learning curve for educational use in computer labs that have the necessary computers, but do not allow customized Linux and application installations.

Students will gain experience in software development patterns for larger robotic systems including mobile robots, manipulators, computer vision and other sensors. Intended to accelerate the learning process and to reduce the complexity using ROS with the Turtlebot, the desired outcome is to allow users to more quickly utilize the advanced features required in graduate level research and projects. Users will benefit from the enhanced organization and relevancy of the tools and content of the textbook and its alignment with the technical components of ROS on the Turtlebot hardware.

In addition to developing a course text aligned with a bootable image file, we'd like to enable an international network of local ROS user communities to connect, utilize, and enhance the resources, allowing them to not only help their local peers learning and conducting research, but also to encourage them to integrate and collaborate with the larger open source robotics community as a whole through their participation. Enhancement projects should include translating the materials to Korean and other languages as requested to grow adoption and use. We are interested in accelerating this effort through online and in person workshops and via conference events such as ICRA, ROSCon, etc.

Settings

The target settings for use include university research labs and educational computing facilities with Ubuntu Linux / ROS capable computers, Internet connectivity, and with or without additional user supplied hardware robots or sensor equipment.