Proposal of new ROS package for virtual camera to advertise camera_info, image and point cloud

Kentaro Wada

Sep 28, 2016, 9:35:14 AM9/28/16
to ROS Drivers Special Interest Group
For testing and analyzing for vision ROS nodes, it is useful if we have virtual camera driver to advertise camera_info, image and point cloud.
Because rosbag play --loop does not work well on some situations, and we sometimes would like to use one moment of camera view continuously on analyzing.

The first motivation is to advertise camera_info with synchronization with image and point cloud.
There are already node to publish point cloud from pcd file,

and image from image file.

To advertise camera_info, adding feature to publish it to pcd_to_pointcloud is a solution. (image_publisher already has this feature using ~camera_info_url rosparam)

But it does not solve the problem of synchronization between the image and pointcloud,
and it is also a problem that topic saving utilities for image and pointcloud are dispersed (pcl_ros/pointcloud_to_pcd, image_view/image_saver).
One for camera_info does not exist as far as I know.

In this post, I propose to create a new ROS package to serve the feature of advertise camera_info, image, and point cloud,
and saving utilities for them. Ideally, it can be placed as ros-drivers/virtual_camera.
If this package is regarded as useful enough to be added to ros-drivers, it will be added there on GitHub.

Anyone who have some idea on this?

Jack O'Quin

Oct 4, 2016, 3:16:44 PM10/4/16
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
The normal ROS solution for storing these data with synchronized time stamps is using rosbag.

Wouldn't the PCD and image files lose relative timing information?
--
 joq

Kentaro Wada

Oct 13, 2016, 2:57:59 PM10/13/16
to ROS Drivers Special Interest Group
I'm thinking save the PCD and image files with timestamp in their filename.

A solution is adding an option --increment-loop to publish topics with incremental timestamp replacing.

rosbag play --start=TIME1 --end=TIME2 --increment-loop
and this differs from --loop that the timestamp does not go backward.

rosbag play --start=TIME1 --end=TIME1 --increment-loop
to publish topics like virtual_camera at a time TIME1.