Device for battery management

Dan Pollock

Nov 18, 2015, 1:40:44 PM11/18/15
to ROS Drivers Special Interest Group
Looking for a device that has a ros interface to monitor the battery on my robot. Using one of those plug in alarms now but I'm hoping there is a similar device out there that will interface with ROS.

Also I'm trying to figure out a way to have a "dead mans switch" that will cut the battery off from the rest of the bot if the voltage gets too low. I have cut offs on the motor controller and the dc-dc converter for the jetsons but I'd like some kind of back up that is a total cut off upstream from any electronics. Thinking a relay but if you cut the power how would it keep the contact open? Not that familiar with that type of thing so any suggestions much appreciated.

Mike Purvis

Nov 18, 2015, 1:48:57 PM11/18/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

You could consider building a bespoke battery monitor from an Arduino or other simple microcontroller board. This could handle the cut-off functionality for you, and also talk to your computer using rosserial to publish battery state to the rest of the system.

Note that you could also take advantage of the new smart_battery_msgs package, whereas an off-the-shelf battery monitor would likely require writing this logic as a driver on the PC side: http://wiki.ros.org/smart_battery_msgs

Mike