Driver for OS32C

Mike Purvis

Nov 12, 2015, 5:29:26 PM11/12/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Gariepy
Hi folks,

Clearpath would like to make available a driver for the OMRON OS32C EtherNet/IP-based safety laser:

https://www.ia.omron.com/products/family/2717/

The source is here at the moment (the in-source license banners will be changed to BSD shortly):

The most significant issues I foresee revolve around naming and bundling. Specifically:
  • Is the os32c name acceptable, or should it be renamed to omron_laser_driver, os32c_driver, os32c_laser_driver, or something along those lines?
  • Regarding the bundled eip (EtherNet/IP) library, should this be split out into a separate package (odva_ethernet_ip), either within this repo, or possibly its own? It's intended to be reusable, it just doesn't have any other consumers at present.
If there's no objection, I'll create a github repo in ros-drivers and set up a page on the ROS Wiki. There's development/cleanup still under way with this driver, but it is in a usable state at present, and the ongoing development may as well occur in the final location, for the sake of setting up buildfarm jobs, etc.

Mike

Shaun Edwards

Nov 12, 2015, 9:17:08 PM11/12/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Gariepy
Mike,

This is great news.  Regarding naming, under ROS-Industrial we have found that prefixing with the manufacturer (omron) helps prevent naming collisions.  For robot models, we append the model number.  In your case, if you followed this same convention, the package would be omron_os32c.  I'd also recommend putting all Omron packages in a single repo called omron.  This will make it easier for others to find specific vendor packages.

I can definitely see reusing the EtherNet/IP library.  I'm not aware of any other packages/libraries that provide support for Ethernet/IP, so I can imagine others might use yours.

-Shaun

G.A. vd. Hoorn - 3ME

Nov 13, 2015, 4:17:41 AM11/13/15
On 12/11/15 23:29, Mike Purvis wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Clearpath would like to make available a driver for the OMRON OS32C
> EtherNet/IP-based safety laser:
>
> https://www.ia.omron.com/products/family/2717/
>
> The source is here at the moment (the in-source license banners will be
> changed to BSD shortly):
>
> https://github.com/mikepurvis/os32c
>
> The most significant issues I foresee revolve around naming and bundling.
> Specifically:
>
> - Is the os32c name acceptable, or should it be renamed to
> omron_laser_driver, os32c_driver, os32c_laser_driver, or something along
> those lines?

A few months ago REP-144 was introduced [1], which provides some
suggestions as to how pkgs should be named. Combining Shauns suggestion
with that, perhaps 'omron_os32c_driver' would be the most descriptive name?

> - Regarding the bundled eip (EtherNet/IP) library, should this be split
> out into a separate package (odva_ethernet_ip), either within this repo, or
> possibly its own? It's intended to be reusable, it just doesn't have any
> other consumers at present.

Definitely split it out. A library for eip would be a prime reuse
candidate, so to me it wouldn't make sense to keep this so tightly
coupled (in a distribution sense) with this driver.

I haven't looked at it yet, but does your implementation support
implicit messaging? That is what most other open-source libraries are
missing at the moment.

> If there's no objection, I'll create a github repo in ros-drivers and set
> up a page on the ROS Wiki. There's development/cleanup still under way with
> this driver, but it is in a usable state at present, and the ongoing
> development may as well occur in the final location, for the sake of
> setting up buildfarm jobs, etc.
>
> Mike

Gijs

[1] https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/96

Mike Purvis

Nov 13, 2015, 10:43:28 AM11/13/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Gariepy
A few months ago REP-144 was introduced [1], which provides some suggestions as to how pkgs should be named. Combining Shauns suggestion with that, perhaps 'omron_os32c_driver' would be the most descriptive name?

Definitely split it out. A library for eip would be a prime reuse candidate, so to me it wouldn't make sense to keep this so tightly coupled (in a distribution sense) with this driver.

Okay, sounds like we're looking at two repos to be added to ros-drivers:

- "omron", containing a subfolder "omron_os32c_driver" with the driver in it, and
- "ovda_ethernetip", containing the library.

The header folders and ifdef guards will be adjusted accordingly. Does this seem reasonable to everyone?

I haven't looked at it yet, but does your implementation support implicit messaging? That is what most other open-source libraries are missing at the moment.

Yes it does, although it was added later in the development after we encountered issues with the TCP transport, so the implementation does require some further cleanup.

Mike

Jack O'Quin

Nov 13, 2015, 12:12:14 PM11/13/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Gariepy
+1

Tully Foote

Mike Purvis

Nov 13, 2015, 1:34:31 PM11/13/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Gariepy
Cool, thanks for the input, all. Will get to this over the weekend or next week.

Hanene Sayadi

Dec 23, 2015, 10:28:42 AM12/23/15
to ROS Drivers Special Interest Group, rgar...@clearpathrobotics.com
Hi, i wanted to test the package of OMRON os32c but i receive usually 'Exception caught opening session: ' Any idea??

Mike Purvis

Dec 23, 2015, 10:54:51 AM12/23/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hanene,

Please make a post on ROS Answers for this type of question: http://answers.ros.org/

There's a bunch of other information you can provide to help other ROS users help you effectively, including:
  • The IP of your computer's ethernet port, and the OS32C.
  • A confirmation that the device returns data to the vendor's diagnostic tool (ensures that the hardware layer is correct).
  • More information about what exactly is going wrong— which exception? If it doesn't say, build the driver from source and improve the error message so that it does.
Best wishes,

Mike

Harsh Sharma

Aug 25, 2017, 3:09:53 AM8/25/17
to ROS Drivers Special Interest Group
Hi
Someone asked this https://answers.ros.org/question/254940/how-to-run-omron_os32c_drive-and-interface-with-turtlebot/. Please reply.
I just need to know how the scans will be transformed to map. Does a node from tf package subscribe to laserscan topic?

KRYSTLE

Nov 30, 2017, 2:43:44 AM11/30/17
to ROS Drivers Special Interest Group
I have an OM32C that was given to me by a customer who could not pay his bill, he was suppose to come back but never did so I am now stuck with this, it is new in box with install disc and I would really like to get my 600 that is owed so thought I would see if you knew anywhere that would purchase the unit. Thanks in advance!