Announcing: VectorNav ROS Driver

Dereck Wonnacott

Sep 12, 2013, 4:37:04 PM9/12/13
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've created a ROS driver for VectorNav IMU/GPS devices: https://github.com/dawonn/ros-vectorNav

I was hoping that it could get some peer review and perhaps have it included in ros-drivers.

Regards,

~Dereck Wonnacott
Intellingent Robotics Lab
Michigan Technological University

Chad Rockey

Sep 12, 2013, 6:22:22 PM9/12/13
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dereck,

I looked through briefly.  The licensing doesn't look very clear.  The library includes a LICENSE file, which indicates MIT, but the package.xml claims 'Apache'.  Can you clarify the license and make sure to specify which Apache license?  I'm not sure we assume Apache == Apache V1.0.

It looks like the offsets for ENU orientation are applied?

Finally, I administrate the ros-drivers Github group and we can move your package there a few ways.  (One): Add me to administrate your main copy and I can MOVE it to ros-drivers.  (Two): I can just 'fork' a copy and allow you to administrate it.  (One) requires more effort on your part, but (two) makes it slightly confusing which one is upstream vs downstream.

 - Chad

Dereck Wonnacott

Sep 12, 2013, 7:24:22 PM9/12/13
to chadr...@gmail.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
I changed the licensing to MIT so that it matches the vendor provided library and just makes everything really clear I hope.

I indeed attempted to translate the NED values into ENU, but I don't have a way to validate it yet.

I think I gave you access to move the repo, please let me know if I need to take further action.

~Dereck

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” - Michelangelo

Alexandre de Morais Amory

Aug 7, 2014, 1:10:35 PM8/7/14
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dereck,

Would you know if your vectornav driver for ROS also works for VN-100 ?
I assume that I would 'only' need to remove the part of the code related to GPS ... I am correct ?

best regards,
Alexandre

Dereck Wonnacott

Aug 7, 2014, 4:22:39 PM8/7/14
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com

The library is totally different between vn100 and 200. But it should be relatively easy to use my node as a base, copy it, and change it to use the vn100 library.  If you do so, send me a pull request on github. :)

dahlan elka

Feb 12, 2018, 6:33:53 PM2/12/18
to ROS Drivers Special Interest Group
yes i really need for vectornav 100  in gps..but i dont know how to change library vectornav 200 into 100