Extend wstool set uri and scm resolving.

Kentaro Wada

Jul 30, 2015, 10:51:50 AM7/30/15
to ROS Buildsystem Special Interest Group
I usually set repository which is hosted at github, and I think wstool can resolve uri and scm by the hosting service name.
So what I want to do is:
```
$ wstool set inbox wkentaro/github -@ github -v master

     Add new elements:
  inbox   git  https://github.com/wkentaro/github.git   master

Continue: (y)es, (n)o: y
Overwriting /Users/ken/ws/ws_vcstools/.rosinstall
Config changed, remember to run 'wstool update inbox' to update the folder from git
```

This is just inspired by `hub` command.
```
$ hub clone vcstools/wstool
```

Anoter idea is not adding option but adding some rules for uri like:
```
wstool set inbox gh:wkentaro/github -v master

     Add new elements:
  inbox     git  https://github.com/wkentaro/github.git   master
```
This would be similar to launchpad URLs.

Which one do you prefer?

Also, I'm think adding --ssh option is good to resolve uri for ssh like below::
```
 wstool set inbox wkentaro/github -@ github -v master --ssh

     Add new elements:
  inbox     git  g...@github.com:wkentaro/github.git   master
```

tkruse

Aug 3, 2015, 1:34:36 PM8/3/15
to ROS Buildsystem Special Interest Group
If nobody answers I'd probably vote -0 due to lack of community interest.

I suggested the "gh:" prefix resolution myself because it follows the bazaar/launchpad feature, seems like the smaller code change and has fewer error cases. But overall I believe most people will copy&paste URLs from their browser anyways, so this feature does not save much time.

So even with "gh:" I should vote +0.

Tully Foote

Aug 3, 2015, 2:07:05 PM8/3/15
to ROS Buildsystem Special Interest Group
I agree that I think that this is starting to add more complexity to the tool with less marginal benefit. Hub is designed to be the interface to the github api and needs to evolve with the github API. While this id designed to work with any standard git repo, whether github bitbucket gitlab etc. We could try to start following all those conventions, but then we'd have to keep tracking them as well. So I'm a -0 as well.

Tully

Kentaro Wada

Aug 4, 2015, 5:55:14 AM8/4/15
to ROS Buildsystem Special Interest Group
Ok, so I will close the issue.