ROS LIVE July 2015: Build Tools

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 7, 2015, 11:58:38 AM7/7/15
to ros-sig-ng-ros, ros-sig-buildsystem
All,

A year ago we had a Google+ hangout and put together a bunch of notes on the development of `catkin_tools` [1]. Many of us think we should start doing this more often, maybe once a month, and each month we can pick a different topic to discuss.

This will be a Google+ hangout on air and the participants will also be logged into the ROS IRC channel [2]. Google+ hangouts are limited to 10 participants.
 * If you would like to be added to the list of hangout participants, please reply to this e-mail with a brief justification.
 * If you are already invited but not interested in participating, or can share a stream with another person on the list, please reply to this message indicating that you would like to forfeit your spot.

The current invitation list includes those involved in the last discussion:
 - William Woodall (OSRF)
 - Dirk Thomas (OSRF)
 - Tully Foote (OSRF)
 - Thibault Kruse (TUM)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)

At the end of this week, I'll post the time where the most invited participants can participate, as well as a brief agenda.

best,
-jon

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 7, 2015, 12:18:33 PM7/7/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig-buildsystem
Ian,

Consider yourself invited.

Current list of invited participants:
 - William Woodall (OSRF)
 - Dirk Thomas (OSRF)
 - Tully Foote (OSRF)
 - Thibault Kruse (TUM)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)
 - Ian McMahon (Rethink)

-j

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 12:12 PM Ian McMahon <imcm...@rethinkrobotics.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to join the discussion on G+ hangout. We use catkin internally at Rethink, and are looking to the future with catkin_tools and ament.

Thanks,
~ Ian

. .

Ian McMahon  |  Senior Developer Relations Engineer
Rethink Robotics, Inc
main: 617.500.2487 | direct617.500.4188

Shaun Edwards

Jul 7, 2015, 12:22:58 PM7/7/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com
I would like to be invited as well to represent the ROS-Industrial community.  In addition, the web platform we use for ROS-Industrial community meetings allows us to have groups larger than 10.  If this is of interest, please let me know.

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 7, 2015, 1:44:09 PM7/7/15
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Shaun, you're now on the list.

Current list of invited participants:
 - William Woodall (OSRF)
 - Dirk Thomas (OSRF)
 - Tully Foote (OSRF)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)
 - Ian McMahon (Rethink)
 - Shaun Edwards (SWRI / ROS-I)
 - Ryan Murphy (JHUAPL)

-j

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 7, 2015, 2:00:16 PM7/7/15
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Latest list of invited participants:
 - William Woodall (OSRF)
 - Dirk Thomas (OSRF)
 - Tully Foote (OSRF)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)
 - Ian McMahon (Rethink)
 - Shaun Edwards (SWRI / ROS-I)
 - Ryan Murphy (JHUAPL)
 - David Lu (WUSTL)

Note that the final list of participants will be decided based on availability.

-j

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 7, 2015, 2:59:33 PM7/7/15
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Latest list of invited participants:
 - William Woodall (OSRF)
 - Dirk Thomas (OSRF)
 - Tully Foote (OSRF)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)
 - Ian McMahon (Rethink)
 - Shaun Edwards (SWRI / ROS-I)
 - Ryan Murphy (JHUAPL)
 - David Lu (WUSTL)
 - Michael Ferguson (Fetch)

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 7, 2015, 5:54:03 PM7/7/15
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Latest list of invited participants:
 - William Woodall (OSRF)
 - Dirk Thomas (OSRF)
 - Tully Foote (OSRF)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)
 - Ian McMahon (Rethink)
 - Shaun Edwards (SWRI / ROS-I)
 - Ryan Murphy (JHUAPL)
 - David Lu (WUSTL)
 - Michael Ferguson (Fetch)
 - Aaron Blasdel (Fetch)

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 8, 2015, 1:57:09 PM7/8/15
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Latest list of invited participants:
 - William Woodall (OSRF)
 - Dirk Thomas (OSRF)
 - Tully Foote (OSRF)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)
 - Ian McMahon (Rethink)
 - Shaun Edwards (SWRI / ROS-I)
 - Ryan Murphy (JHUAPL)
 - David Lu (WUSTL)
 - Michael Ferguson, Aaron Blasdel  (Fetch)
 - Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian (PAL)
 - Ingo Lütkebohle (Bosch)
 - Geoffrey Biggs (AIST)
 - Ugo Cupcic (Shadow Robot)

Note that the final list of participants will be decided based on availability. At that point we'll decide if there is a better venue than Google+.

-j

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 10, 2015, 9:07:26 AM7/10/15
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Latest list of invited participants with compatible schedules:
 - William Woodall, Dirk Thomas, Tully Foote, Brian Gerkey, Esteve Fernandez, Morgan Quigly, Jackie Kay (OSRF)
 - Jonathan Bohren (JHU),  Ryan Murphy (JHUAPL)
 - Jack O'Quin (Austin Robot Technology)
 - Mike Purvis (Clearpath)
 - Ian McMahon (Rethink)
 - Shaun Edwards (SWRI / ROS-I)
 - David Lu (WUSTL)
 - Michael Ferguson, Aaron Blasdel  (Fetch)
 - Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian (PAL)
 - Ingo Lütkebohle (Bosch)
 - Geoffrey Biggs (AIST)

Invited participants pending scheduling info:
 - Daniel Stonier (Yujin)

Invited participants with incompatible schedules:
 - Ugo Cupcic (Shadow Robot)

It looks like there are 11-12 sites (pending Daniel's availability), so there are a couple options:

a) Stick to Google+1 for 10 of the invited users, and the one or two others can just watch and communicate over IRC with the others in the hangout.
b) Use some other videoconferencing tool (as suggested by Shaun)
c) Switch to a voice-only teleconference (I really don't like these)

-j

Brian Gerkey

Jul 10, 2015, 10:06:39 AM7/10/15
to ros-sig-buildsystem, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
We use Google Apps for Nonprofits, which I think is the same service
as Google Apps for Business (but free). So perhaps we can squeeze in
more people if somebody from OSRF does the hosting.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ros-sig-buildsystem/CADy-PFhzSm5OmDN-simyUFmGv5way69v4JWc%2BPDXQKwr-RLnxw%40mail.gmail.com.

Mike Purvis

Jul 10, 2015, 10:11:01 AM7/10/15
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig...@googlegroups.com
Has an actual date/time been locked down at this point?

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 10, 2015, 10:15:18 AM7/10/15
On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM Mike Purvis <mpu...@clearpathrobotics.com> wrote:
Has an actual date/time been locked down at this point?

Mike,

Based on the poll, the current highest availability for the group is on July 27, 29, and 30 from 4-5pm EDT.

On 10 July 2015 at 10:06, Brian Gerkey <ger...@osrfoundation.org> wrote:
We use Google Apps for Nonprofits, which I think is the same service
as Google Apps for Business (but free).  So perhaps we can squeeze in
more people if somebody from OSRF does the hosting.

Brian,

That would be great, could you guys test to see if you can get 15 into a hangout?

-j

Jonathan Bohren

Jul 20, 2015, 12:48:02 PM7/20/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com
Yes: Monday July 27th at 4:00pm EDT.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM David Lu <davi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has a time for this been officially set yet?

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 3:01:38 PM UTC-4, Jackie Kay wrote:
folks,

OSRF will host the Google Hangout, which means we can have up to 15 streams. Are there 3-4 more people/organizations interested in participating?

The best window is probably mid-morning Pacific/afternoon Eastern/early evening European time, but unfortunately this means a very late night/early morning call for anyone in Asia. We do plan on scheduling monthly ROS Live calls on a variety of topics, so we'll try to balance everyone's timezones and preferences in the future. If you're participating in the call and this window does not work for you, can you email me and Jonathan with your timezone and your preference?

As for locking in a date, we are looking at Monday 7/27. Any objections to that?

Jackie

Jackie Kay

Jul 20, 2015, 2:36:21 PM7/20/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, Bob. For future meetings, we will probably send a general heads up announcement to ros-users, then we will start a more in-depth thread on the appropriate SIG mailing list(s) to brainstorm an agenda and coordinate attendance. We don't want to spam anyone's inbox, but we also don't want to close anyone off from the discussion.

It's likely that many of the future topics for ROS Live will relate back to ROS 2, so the ros-sig-ng-ros mailing list will probably keep you in the loop.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Bob Dean <bob....@gmail.com> wrote:
Jackie,

Will this list be the initial list for future ros live meetings? While the build system is not important to me, other topics may be of much interest. So I do not want to take the spot of someone who would be Mir interested in the Build system meeting but will do so to be in the list for future meetings.

Thanks,
Bob Dean
General Dynamics Land Systems, Robotics

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 10, 2015, at 3:01 PM, Jackie Kay <jac...@osrfoundation.org> wrote:

folks,

OSRF will host the Google Hangout, which means we can have up to 15 streams. Are there 3-4 more people/organizations interested in participating?

The best window is probably mid-morning Pacific/afternoon Eastern/early evening European time, but unfortunately this means a very late night/early morning call for anyone in Asia. We do plan on scheduling monthly ROS Live calls on a variety of topics, so we'll try to balance everyone's timezones and preferences in the future. If you're participating in the call and this window does not work for you, can you email me and Jonathan with your timezone and your preference?

As for locking in a date, we are looking at Monday 7/27. Any objections to that?

Jackie

Jackie Kay

Jul 20, 2015, 5:34:20 PM7/20/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com
I sent a Google calendar invite for the meeting to the most recent list of confirmed attendees. By my count, there's still room for 1 more party (maybe 2, if someone wants to take Bob's spot).

Let me know if you confirmed attendance but didn't get this email. If you did receive the invitation, please RSVP "Yes" or "No". The calendar event will contain a link to the Google Hangout for the meeting.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Robert Dean <bob....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Jackie, if you would pencil me in that would be great. If someone with a vested interest comes along they can have my spot.

-Bob

Daniel Stonier

Jul 27, 2015, 10:49:37 PM7/27/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com

Sorry all,

I didn't manage to get rewired this morning after the initial connection - missed whatever uri came through and then while digging around with Jack the kids heard me and woke up. Were there any notes recorded from the meeting?

I do think having these regularly is a great idea as things become more real, and look forward to the next opportunity!

Daniel.

William Woodall

Jul 27, 2015, 11:25:57 PM7/27/15
to ros-sig...@googlegroups.com, ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

Sorry you couldn't join us. The hangout was recorded, but there are no notes at the moment:

Cheers,
William Woodall
ROS Development Team

Daniel Stonier

Jul 28, 2015, 6:49:33 AM7/28/15

On 28 Jul 2015 12:25, "William Woodall" <wil...@osrfoundation.org> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Sorry you couldn't join us. The hangout was recorded, but there are no notes at the moment:
>
> http://youtu.be/XvYF4pW02p4

Thanks william.