libceres-dev missing cmake module

Mike Purvis

Jul 7, 2016, 10:56:44 PM7/7/16
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com, Michael Ferguson
Hey all,

Looks like another upstream packaging snafu— previous to Xenial, ceres-solver was imported into packages.ros.org from Mike Ferguson's PPA:

But now it's in upstream, yay: http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libceres-dev

Except the upstream package is missing its CMake find module, fail: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ceres-solver/+bug/1596296

The problem is in the yakkety deb too. The sid version is the same too: https://packages.qa.debian.org/c/ceres-solver.html

Do we want to patch this in a PPA and pull in the patched package? Ship the module in cmake_modules? Something else?

Mike

Jackie Kay

Jul 8, 2016, 12:19:14 PM7/8/16
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the heads up, Mike.

I'm generally in favor of using the upstream package instead of the PPA, but wouldn't that introduce a dependency on cmake_modules for all packages that use ceres?

If we continue to use a PPA we need to be careful about keeping the version ahead of the upstream package so that the correct version is selected.

I ticketed this on rosdistro so that we can track it: https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/issues/12105

(sorry to Fergs if he gets this email twice, sent it from the wrong account originally)

Mike Purvis

Jul 8, 2016, 12:56:16 PM7/8/16
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com
An updated PPA package should IMO have a version string like 1.11.0~dfsg0-2cmake-fix, so it's very clear that it's based on the upstream package with just the one correction made.

Mike Purvis

Jul 8, 2016, 1:48:29 PM7/8/16
to ros-sig-b...@googlegroups.com
Well, here's the issue:

$ cat ceres-solver-1.11.0~dfsg0/debian/libceres-dev.install
include/ceres usr/include
usr/lib/lib*.so

Tully Foote

Jul 8, 2016, 1:50:31 PM7/8/16
to ROS Buildsystem Special Interest Group
Lets move the discussion over to the issue Jackie created. This is not really a buildsystem problem but a rosdistro dependency problem.