Unable to Install ROS Hydro on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise

francis xavier

Feb 2, 2015, 9:10:37 AM2/2/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi I have been trying to install Hydro but unable to do so. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and already have groovy in it. When I tried doing a full desktop install I keep getting this error:

"Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:"

"The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 ros-hydro-desktop-full : Depends: ros-hydro-simulators but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

What can I do? I am still very new to ROS, am not very sure.

~Francis

Patrick Goebel

Feb 2, 2015, 7:14:40 PM2/2/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

Please have a look at the solution provided for this same question on askubuntu.com.   I would try each suggested fix one at a time and after each, try running the ROS installation command again (sudo apt-get install ros-hydro-desktop-full).

--patrick

francis xavier

Feb 3, 2015, 4:11:04 AM2/3/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the solution link. I will do the steps and let you know how it went..

Kind regards,
Francis

francis xavier

Feb 4, 2015, 8:56:50 AM2/4/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

I managed to do a full desktop installation of Hydro. I installed and used aptitude instead of apt-get and it worked.

Kind regards,
Francis

Patrick Goebel

Feb 4, 2015, 2:26:02 PM2/4/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

That's good to hear and thanks for sharing the tip about using aptitude instead of apt.  I have often had dependency issues when using apt so I look forward to trying aptitude the next time I have trouble.

--patrick