Error in openni tracker

francis xavier

Jan 20, 2015, 10:00:02 PM1/20/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com, xavie...@hotmail.com
Hi all I have been using the book ROS by example vol 1 to do some projects.I just have a question I would like to ask. On page 178 when I launch the openni tracker it displays error and does not work. Could someone advise me with this issue?

I am using ROS groovy and Ubuntu 12.04 precise

This is the Error Message: [ERROR] [1421658936.568502797]: Find user generator failed: This operation is invalid! [openni_tracker-2] process has died [pid 7964, exit code 18..............] Thank you Francis

Patrick Goebel

Jan 21, 2015, 8:58:46 PM1/21/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

I cannot reproduce the error you are getting under Ubuntu 12.04 and ROS Groovy.  I assume you are using a Microsoft Kinect?  Or is it an Asus Xtion Pro?  I can run both launch files on page 178 using a Microsoft Kinect without getting any errors and I can see my skeleton moving in RViz.

Try running the following command with your Kinect plugged in and powered up:

$ rosrun openni_tracker openni_tracker

Do you get the same error as below?

--patrick

francis xavier

Jan 21, 2015, 10:52:00 PM1/21/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

I am using Kinect and it is plugged in and powered up. After trying the code you suggested '$ rosrun openni_tracker openni_tracker' it still does not respond. Here is what I get.

[ERROR] [1421897854.546274593]: [registerPublisher] Failed to contact master at [localhost:11311].  Retrying...

I then ran roscore first and redo the code and I got this message:

[ERROR] [1421898005.232801005]: Find user generator failed: This operation is invalid!

My kinect is able to operate well using other codes in the previous pages like face detector, depth images etc.. However it does not run openni tracker. I am not sure why.. Please advise.

Kind regards
Francis

AlexR

Jan 21, 2015, 10:58:38 PM1/21/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This error is more prevalent when using Kinect for Windows(not yet supported on ROS) and not Kinect xbox 360.  Are you using the kinect for windows ? I had the same issue but switching to kinect xbox 360 will work smoothly and out of the box.

Alex

francis xavier

Jan 22, 2015, 1:01:33 AM1/22/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I am using Kinect XBOX 360. I have also updated the NITE folder. Still can't run openni tracker.

Francis

Alex R

Jan 22, 2015, 4:10:50 AM1/22/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

Might help you.

Alex.

Patrick Goebel

Jan 23, 2015, 10:57:56 AM1/23/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

What output do you get on your screen when you run the following command:

$ locate libXnVNite

--patrick

francis xavier

Jan 23, 2015, 10:48:05 PM1/23/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

I get this as my output:

/usr/lib/libXnVNite.so
/usr/lib/libXnVNite_1_3_1.so

Francis

francis xavier

Jan 24, 2015, 3:42:35 AM1/24/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Thank you. My kinect can detect depth images. It only can't do the tracking..

Francis

francis xavier

Jan 24, 2015, 4:18:31 AM1/24/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick I managed to get the tracker to work. I just updated the NITE to X86-v1.5.2.21. My previous version was X64.

Thank you!

Francis

Patrick Goebel

Jan 24, 2015, 8:20:49 AM1/24/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

Nice work!  That's exactly what I was going to suggest once I saw the NITE libraries that were on your system.

--patrick