Groovy and Hydro

francis xavier

Jan 25, 2015, 2:28:44 AM1/25/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all and Patrick

I am planning to use ROS by example volume 2. However I have been using vol 1 and running on Groovy. If i use vol 2 and install Hydro will it overwrite my groovy programs? Or I can have hydro installed alongside groovy? I am using Ubuntu 12.04

Francis.

Patrick Goebel

Jan 25, 2015, 7:43:27 PM1/25/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

Yes, you can run Groovy and Hydro on the same Ubuntu 12.04 machine--I do just that with one one of my computers.  Groovy is installed under /opt/ros/groovy and Hydro will be installed under /opt/ros/hydro.  Just follow the Hydro installation instructions and in step 1.2 make sure you use the first command to set up the sources for Ubuntu 12.04.

The one catch is that you cannot run both Groovy and Hydro at the same time this way.  If you'd like to be able to do that, you might want to try a virtual machine installation of Hydro instead as described in the purple box near the top of this page.

If you don't use the virtual machine method, then you switch between Groovy and Hydro by sourcing the appropriate setup.bash file.  For Groovy you would use:

$ source /opt/ros/groovy/setup.bash
and for Hydro you would use:

$ source /opt/ros/hydro/setup.bash

Since this needs to be done in each terminal window, you might want to keep each of these lines in your ~/.bashrc file and comment one out when you want the other ROS version to be your current working default.

Personally, I would only recommend doing this for a little while to make the transition and then just work in ROS Hydro once you feel you comfortable with it.

--patrick

francis xavier

Jan 26, 2015, 3:37:24 AM1/26/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

That's great. Thank you for the advice!

Francis.

francis xavier

Jan 28, 2015, 11:16:59 PM1/28/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

I am trying to follow the instruction's to install Hydro. I am doing a full desktop installation but I am getting this error:

or been moved out of Incoming.

 ros-hydro-desktop-full : Depends: ros-hydro-simulators but it is not going to be installed

Is this normal?

Francis

Patrick Goebel

Jan 29, 2015, 7:34:24 PM1/29/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francis,

Can you please try running:

$ sudo apt-get update

And then try again with the installation:

$ sudo apt-get install ros-hydro-desktop-full

If it installs OK this time, don't forget to run:

$ rosdep update

--patrick

francis xavier

Jan 30, 2015, 8:32:50 AM1/30/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

Yes I followed the instruction as you mentioned but I am getting the same error as I got before. I am considering maybe installing another ROS version like Quantal or Raring. Do you think this might help?

Regards,
Francis

or been moved out of Incoming.

 ros-hydro-desktop-full : Depends: ros-hydro-simulators but it is not going to be installed

Francis

Tim Murphy

Apr 24, 2015, 12:46:40 PM4/24/15
to ros-by-example
Hi Patrick,

I'm upgading from Groovy to Hydro. I've had a hydro catkin workspace and I decided I just wanted to launch everything from one launch file, so, I choose to move to Hydro.

I am having the same problems as francis. When I run:

$ sudo apt-get update

I get:

If I run:

$ sudo apt-get install ros-hydro-desktop-full

It installs, but when I run:

$ rosdep update

I get an error:

ERROR: Rosdep experienced an error: 'fedora'
Please go to the rosdep page [1] and file a bug report with the stack trace below.

rosdep version: 0.10.25

rosdep version: 0.10.25

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rosdep2/main.py", line 121, in rosdep_main
    exit_code = _rosdep_main(args)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rosdep2/main.py", line 264, in _rosdep_main
    return _no_args_handler(command, parser, options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rosdep2/main.py", line 272, in _no_args_handler
    return command_handlers[command](options)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rosdep2/main.py", line 437, in command_update
    error_handler=update_error_handler)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rosdep2/sources_list.py", line 436, in update_sources_list
    rosdep_data = get_gbprepo_as_rosdep_data(d)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rosdep2/gbpdistro_support.py", line 175, in get_gbprepo_as_rosdep_data
    APT_INSTALLER: {'packages': [deb_package_name]}
KeyError: 'fedora'

Any ideas on how to get rid of these error messages? Why would I even care about fedora?

Thanks,

Patrick Goebel

Apr 24, 2015, 7:37:25 PM4/24/15
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

You might have better luck asking this question on http://answers.ros.org.  In particular, I see a reference to "fedora" below which is not a supported version of Linux for ROS but maybe you have it working OK for Groovy.  In any event, try searching the answers.ros.org forum first to see if anyone else has done it.

--patrick

Tim Murphy

Apr 24, 2015, 7:44:50 PM4/24/15
to ros-by-example
I updated Rosdep and the fedora problem went away. Now having problems trying to add ros_arduino_bridge to the catkin workspace. Getting:

CMake Error at ros_arduino_bridge/ros_arduino_msgs/CMakeLists.txt:7 (add_message_files):
  Unknown CMake command "add_message_files".

Using answers to try different solutions. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't make me happy if I have to edit CMakeLists.txt for every package I add.

Thanks,