Hardware needed to build my own robot

Ricardo Matos

Apr 12, 2017, 1:50:37 PM4/12/17
to ros-by-example
Hello. I intend to create a robotic base like the one in the book to apply what is taught. How can I start this build? What hardware do you use on the basis of the robot used in the book as an example. Thank you.

Patrick Goebel

Apr 14, 2017, 8:41:48 AM4/14/17
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ricardo,

You can find some of the hardware used with Pi Robot in this blog post.  However, the Serializer was discontinued a long time ago so now I use an Arduino Mega and Pololu motor controller instead of the Serializer and Arbotix.

My personal recommendation is to buy a Kobuki  (Turtlebot 2) instead of building your own base.  It is well made with full ROS support right out of the box.  The main limitation is that it is strictly an indoor robot (small wheels and very little ground clearance).

--patrick