Problem launching the map_server

Davide Picchi

Aug 15, 2014, 3:40:08 PM8/15/14
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
As stated in the book ROS by Example (Hydro) I run:
$ roslaunch rbx1_nav fake_move_base_blank_map.launch

But I get the following error message:

ERROR: cannot launch node of type [map_server/map_server]: map_server
ROS path [0]=/opt/ros/indigo/share/ros
ROS path [1]=/home/wilhem/workspace_ros/src
ROS path [2]=/opt/ros/indigo/share
ROS path [3]=/opt/ros/indigo/stacks
ERROR: cannot launch node of type [move_base/move_base]: move_base
ROS path [0]=/opt/ros/indigo/share/ros
ROS path [1]=/home/wilhem/workspace_ros/src
ROS path [2]=/opt/ros/indigo/share
ROS path [3]=/opt/ros/indigo/stacks

Somewehre I read that it could be a wrong set up of my ROS variable, but I don t think so: Here the output:
~/workspace_ros$ env | grep ROS
ROS_ROOT=/opt/ros/indigo/share/ros
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=/home/wilhem/workspace_ros/src:/opt/ros/indigo/share:/opt/ros/indigo/stacks
ROS_MASTER_URI=http://localhost:11311
ROS_TEST_RESULTS_DIR=/home/wilhem/workspace_ros/build/test_results
ROSLISP_PACKAGE_DIRECTORIES=/home/wilhem/workspace_ros/devel/share/common-lisp
ROS_DISTRO=indigo
ROS_ETC_DIR=/opt/ros/indigo/etc/ros

What should I do?
Thanks in advance

Ankit Ravankar

Aug 15, 2014, 7:01:58 PM8/15/14
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It seems you have ROS Indigo installation on your system which is the new ROS distro. The book is written for Ros hydro and that might be the problem. I dont think Patrick has released the code for Ros Indigo yet.

Regards
Ankit Ravankar

Patrick Goebel

Aug 18, 2014, 9:50:52 AM8/18/14
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Davide,

Ankit is correct that the ROS By Example (Hydro) code has only been tested under ROS Hydro and will likely break under ROS Indigo.  As a rule of thumb, I give a new ROS release at least four or five months before I start testing my code against it.

--patrick

Davide Picchi

Aug 20, 2014, 2:04:58 PM8/20/14
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks
I supposed that was the problem.

And could be that this is also the reason that I cannot see the turtlebot enterly?

I didn t have any error massages loading the turtlebot after I installed the map_server again.
Regards

Patrick Goebel

Aug 21, 2014, 11:31:26 AM8/21/14
to ros-by-...@googlegroups.com
That could be--I won't be looking at Indigo for quite a while yet...

张建兵

Mar 23, 2016, 3:34:55 AM3/23/16
to ros-by-example
sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-move-base
and
    sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-map-server
    rospack profile