Hardware Acceleration Working Group #8

Víctor Mayoral-Vilches

Apr 19, 2022, 2:19:50 AM4/19/22
to ROS 2 Hardware Acceleration WG
https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=MjNkcXQ2ZnJqMHU2MHM5ZWdoa3NvODRwb2ggYWdmM2thamlya2V0OGtoa3R1cG05Z283NDhAZw&tmsrc=agf3kajirket8khktupm9go748%40group.calendar.google.com

The meeting will cover updates over the last month. In particular, we'll touch on a) updates of REP-2008 to reflect cloud extensions (https://news.accelerationrobotics.com/ros-2-hardware-acceleration-architecture-and-conventions/), b) ROS 2 perception Nodes performance benchmarking, c) ROSCon 2022 Hardware Acceleration Workshop, d) the Robotic Processing Unit and e) progress on community ports of the architecture (`Ultra96-v2`)!

The session will also include a guest talk provided by Jeffrey Ichnowski, a post-doctoral researcher in the RISE lab and AUTOLAB at the University of California at Berkeley, which together with his team led "*FogROS 2: An Adaptive and Extensible Platform for Cloud and Fog Robotics Using ROS 2*". This work is specially exciting to me because I collaborated with this group for the last few months to align cloud and edge hardware acceleration capabilities with ROS 2. The results obtained in this research led to ROS VSLAM (`ORB-SLAM2`) latency reductions of 50%, grasp planning optimizations going from 14s to 1.2s, and motion planning speedups of 28x.

Víctor Mayoral-Vilches

Apr 19, 2022, 2:20:37 AM4/19/22
to ROS 2 Hardware Acceleration WG