Invitation to participate in FHISO

Luther Tychonievich

Jun 22, 2019, 2:31:14 PM6/22/19
to root...@googlegroups.com
Rootsdevers,

We invite you to consider joining the Family History Information Standards Organisation (FHISO) as we prepare for our first election of officers and anticipate releasing our first normative standards.

FHISO was founded to develop genealogical standards in an open, community-run environment.  We continue to believe there is a pressing need for new, open standards on the exchange and representation of genealogical data, and that there is no organisation better placed than FHISO to develop them.  Although it is regrettable that it has taken seven years to reach this stage and some of our initial impetus has been lost in the process, FHISO is finally starting to make a tangible contribution to genealogy technology with drafts of six technical standards now released, and several more in progress.

We invite you to consider joining FHISO. the membership fee of $20 helps cover the costs of being an organisation, and membership allows you to vote on all standards, stand in elections, and otherwise be part of this organisation. We anticipate having an election of officers opening late July, so joining by July 19th is recommended if you would like to participate in that.

— Luther Tychonievich
Chair of the Board and Technical Coordinator
Family History Information Standards Organisation

p.s. If you are interested in learning more about FHISO's recent work, fhiso.org (particularly https://tech.fhiso.org/drafts/, but also https://fhiso.org/minutes/ and https://github.com/fhiso/) may be of interest. I'd also be happy to answer any questions.