Too many people with admin rights in the RootsDev GitHub Organization

조회수 53회
읽지 않은 첫 메시지로 건너뛰기

Justin York

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 23. 오후 2:53:3314. 4. 23.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
There are 29 people that have administrator rights for our GitHub organization. Here's the full list, for those that can see it: https://github.com/orgs/rootsdev/teams/owners

29 is too many. I think 5-10 is enough. I prefer 5. We should create a new team that has read/write access to all repos and put all of the remaining people there.

How do we choose who the 5-10 remaining admins are?

Dallan Quass

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 23. 오후 2:55:3714. 4. 23.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking that we need to create teams within the organization as well.

Is there a way to measure everyone's activity level?

--

---

todd.d....@gmail.com

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 23. 오후 7:17:2514. 4. 23.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
I remain a lowly non-team member. <weeping/>
--
Tod Robbins
Digital Asset Manager, MLIS

Justin York

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 23. 오후 10:03:4214. 4. 23.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
Dallan, do you mean to measure a user's activity within the organization? I don't know of any way.

It turn's out there's a difference between Owners and Admins. In that context, I'm concerned about too many owners. I'm okay with tons of admins because it's a pain to be part of an organization if you can't create repositories. I'm going to create a team with admin rights and add new people there for now.

Michael Bean

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 23. 오후 10:04:3514. 4. 23.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
You can take off my write access if you wish. I'm more of a watcher/beta tester when needed more than a developer for rootsdev (for now).

Michael Bean

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 23. 오후 10:05:0714. 4. 23.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
You can make me an admin instead of an owner if you wish.

Luther Tychonievich

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 24. 오후 12:42:2414. 4. 24.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
So, as I understand it what owners can do that admins cannot is add new users, switch who is on what team, and edit the account information itself. I don't even want the responsibility of doing those things, so I added myself to the admin account "members" and removed myself from "owners." I'd encourage others who don't see themselves administering the account as a whole to do the same. Perhaps this problem can go away by voluntary migration.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Michael Bean <Bean.M...@byu.net> wrote:
You can make me an admin instead of an owner if you wish.

--

Dallan Quass

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 27. 오전 3:36:5214. 4. 27.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
It's been a few days and we still have 28 owners. I'm thinking perhaps we ought to try the other approach and ask people to say something if they'd like to continue to be in the owners group. Would doing that be too presumptuous?

Ben Brumfield

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 27. 오전 9:17:3814. 4. 27.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
That'd be my vote.  I originally added a lot of the members to the admin group in order to let them edit wikis and github pages, so I can attest that most of the administrators didn't actually ask to be admins per se.

Ben

Daniel Zappala

읽지 않음,
2014. 4. 27. 오후 5:13:5714. 4. 27.
받는사람 root...@googlegroups.com
You can take me off the list if you like.

Justin York

읽지 않음,
2016. 4. 27. 오후 6:00:5116. 4. 27.
받는사람 rootsdev
Two years later and permissions were still a mess. Thankfully the recent changes to GitHub organization permissions make it easy. I removed all but 5 owners and turned everyone else into regular members that have permission to create new repos and push to repos they've created. Let us know if you need push access to a repo and don't have it.
전체답장
작성자에게 답글
전달
새 메시지 0개