central GEDCOM repository

Adrienne

Feb 27, 2019, 8:32:39 AM2/27/19
to rootsdev
HI - looking for some advice. I am generating 1,000s (up to 20,000) of Gedcoms for a large community as part of a bigger, non genealogy cultural project. Beyond providing each individual with their own file, I would like to load (with all the correct permissions in place) these Gedcom files into a central repository.

I have looked extensively - Worldconnect? WikiTree…. is there any advice anyone has for me on where I can deposit these for safekeeping?

Many thanks for your support!

Dallan Quass

Feb 27, 2019, 8:56:12 AM2/27/19
to root...@googlegroups.com
WikiTree doesn't import GEDCOMs.  https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Help:GEDCOM#Uploading_a_GEDCOM

How about FamilySearch genealogies? https://www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees

--

---

Adrienne

Feb 27, 2019, 9:18:07 AM2/27/19
to rootsdev
Thanks Dallan, appreciated.

Doug Kennard

Feb 27, 2019, 10:16:16 AM2/27/19
to rootsdev
What do you mean by "all the correct permissions in place"?  Do you mean you want to keep them private, or that you want to keep living people from being displayed, or something else? If you want the Gedcom files (or subsets that exclude/hide living people) to be available for re-use in the public domain rather than the data being restricted by the terms-of-use of one of the other sites, the Open Genealogy Data project at opengendata.org may be another option. We haven't started collecting/posting trees/Gedcoms yet, but are eager to start. I would be happy to talk more off the list if that is something that interests you. Either way, I would be interested in learning more about your cultural project.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 6:32 AM Adrienne <liebenber...@gmail.com> wrote:

Adrienne Liebenberg

Feb 27, 2019, 12:57:34 PM2/27/19
to root...@googlegroups.com
Doug... Super helpful thank you!

Let's talk offline. Can you see my contact details?

Feb 27, 2019, 2:25:55 PM2/27/19
to root...@googlegroups.com
Doug, I didn't know you were interested in tree data also. I need to understand more about what you are doing. I hope you will be at rootstech.

Doug Kennard

Feb 27, 2019, 4:32:42 PM2/27/19
to rootsdev
Dallan, I probably won't make it to RootsTech, so I'll contact you off the list.