Posting a mini-report on RootMagic 7. I have been using an ancient
version for FamilyTreeMaker (FTM) for years, mostly out of momentum, as
my primary genealogy database and then exporting data as GEDCOM files
for other purposes. I had been entering data and had FTM open when Win10
decided to install updates and reboot, which trashed the FTM database.
Luckily I had made a backup a few dates earlier.
Anyway decided I needed to find a new tool and after looking at some
options decided to give RootsMagic 7 a try. It has a free option which
has some features disabled but is still very usable as is. I think the
fully version was like $30 so I upgraded and after a little retraining
of my brain for the new/different UI, I have been happily working with
it, and would recommend it if anyone is looking for a tool.
I just discovered that it using a SQLite database as its storage engine
and you can open the .rmgc file using SQLite3 cli or Perl/Python/PHP/etc
script using a sqlite database connection. It also has a pretty good
community around the product with a facebook group and
blog that has SQL scripts posted
for various things.
Net-net its pretty cool and I look forward to digging more into.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.