Merging multiple tree files after conversion from legacy Family Tree Maker

Jeff Brand

Jan 15, 2019, 9:24:53 PM1/15/19
to rootsdev
Hi all. I found this group through a GEDCOM Node module and instantly felt like this was a great resource for relatively current information on the state of open source genealogical software.

After many years of procrastination, I've taken up the task of merging a large number of .FTW files created by my mother over a number of years. She's still using Family Tree Maker 11 and I've been pushing the conversion to GEDCOM so that we won't lose anything as software support for FTM fades to nothing.

I have a series of problems to solve and, while I'm not above writing code to solve them, I hope someone can chime in on existing tools and recommendations.

My first issue: MANY different versions of tree files existed. Some were exchanged between family members and forked. Some were inadvertent copies. Using MD5 hashes, I've removed exact duplicates, reducing my source material to 60 files. There *will* be massive duplication across them but my goal is to gather all of the "extra" branches together into one main file.

My second issue: I would like to standardize on a format. GEDCOM/GEDCOM X seems like the way to go. I'm concerned with loss of data when converting from FTW to GEDCOM but I think I'm willing to risk it in order to move forward. I've discovered RootsMagic which offers a pretty nice FTW importer into their own SQLite-based format. They also allow export to GEDCOM, and third-party tools exist to manipulate the SQLite database.

My third issue: What's the best Windows software to use these days? I strongly prefer open source, especially over SaaS with monthly fees (Ancestry.com.) I've seen Gramps and I'm definitely willing to give it a shot. What else should I consider?

Finally, and less of an issue than a goal, I would love to host/visualize snapshots of the data online for family to view using one of the PHP or Node.JS-based options.

So, I appreciate any advice in advance. My first priority would be the merging of files I *expect* to be similar (based on filename) and then move on to the incrementally different files. If it comes to it, I might try a diff of GEDCOM output but I expect there are better tools within the field.