wait() with ROOT6.10

André Günther

Oct 16, 2017, 4:17:26 AM10/16/17
to rootpy users
Hi!
I recently upgraded to ROOT 6.10 and now am warned by rootpy that the wait() function does not work anymore:

WARNING:rootpy.interactive.rootwait] unable to access ROOT's GUI thread either because PyROOT's
                finalSetup() was called while in batch mode or because PyROOT
                is using the new PyOS_InputHook-based mechanism that is not yet
                supported in rootpy (PyConfig.StartGuiThread == 'inputhook' or
                gSystem.InheritsFrom('TMacOSXSystem')). wait() etc. will
                instead call input() and wait for [Enter]

I am not really experienced in this kind of things ... is there something I can do except for downgrading?

André Günther

Oct 17, 2017, 3:54:15 AM10/17/17
to rootpy users
For now I solve my problem with a PyROOT solution:

import rootpy.ROOT as ROOT
ROOT.gApplication.Run()

André Günther

Oct 19, 2017, 4:41:10 AM10/19/17
to rootpy users
But this 'solution' is a bit annoying, i hope someone has a better idea :)

Noel Dawe

Oct 19, 2017, 5:00:39 AM10/19/17
to rootpy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for digging into this. It appears that the GUI thread is no longer started by default. One easy fix is to try calling gApplication.Run() inside wait() if it is not yet running. I can test this.

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 7:41 PM, 'André Günther' via rootpy users <rootpy...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
But this 'solution' is a bit annoying, i hope someone has a better idea :)

Noel Dawe

Oct 19, 2017, 5:14:12 AM10/19/17
to rootpy...@googlegroups.com
Actually, not that simple. I haven't looked at this code in a while. The GUI thread is running:

>>> getattr(ROOT, 'PyGUIThread', None).isAlive()
True

Something else is wrong..

André Günther