PaperGhost, a Senior Researcher to give a talk at ROOTCON 5

Dodie Cojuangco

Jun 26, 2011, 9:33:42 PM6/26/11
to roo...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friend,

If you haven't visited www.rootcon.org  lately, allow me to update you if it's not much of a problem.

Surprisingly, weeks after we closed the "Call for Papers" for ROOTCON 5, we received a confirmation on June  22, 2011 from a UK based company GFI Software, Inc. to send Mr. Christopher "PaperGhost" Boyd, a Senior Researcher of the said company to give a talk at ROOTCON 5.

Chris Boyd aka "PaperGhost" and together with our Filipino guest speakers from Manila and Cebu will share their expertise during ROOTCON 5 on September 9 - 10, 2011 at Parklane International Hotel, Cebu City.  Remember 911!

If you're a follower of PaperGhost on twitter for sure you know him very, very, very well.

Below is his bio and his topic for ROOTCON 5:

=======================

Chris "PaperGhost" Boyd

Speaker’s Bio

http://www.rootcon.org/xml/rootcon5/speakers

Christopher Boyd is a Senior Threat Researcher for GFI Software, Inc. He is also a 6-time Microsoft® Most Valuable Professional (MVP) awardee for Consumer Security and former Director of Research for FaceTime Security Labs. He has given talks at RSA, InfoSec Europe and SecTor, and has been thanked by Google for his contributions to responsible disclosure. Chris has been credited for finding the first instance of a rogue Web browser installing without permission, the first Twitter DIY botnet kit, and the first rootkit in an IM bundle. Chris is regularly quoted in relation to his work on gaming security issues.

Console (In)Security: The Oncoming Storm

by: Chris "PaperGhost" Boyd

http://www.rootcon.org/xml/rootcon5/tracks

Synopsis

Increasingly, videogame consoles (and their creators) are becoming a primary target for individuals taking part in everything, from identity theft to digital attacks. Going online with these consoles can present the user and the network with many serious problems, including DDoS attacks, phishing, social engineering, false virus alerts and potential compliance issues. This talk will take a look at the history of videogame hacking, current threats and the dangers you can expect to face when taking your console of choice into the world of online gaming along with suggestions to keep both yourself and your account safe from harm.

More Info of Christopher Boyd:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Boyd

=======================

The seminar tracks at ROOTCON 5 will help your organization get more out of this information security event.  You will attend the 2-days event that will cover both the technical and business aspects about security.

Because ROOTCON is an independent conference, not owned or controlled by any vendors, the speakers don’t have to “stay on message” – and it’s not a marketing event.  ROOTCON goes beyond the sessions with independent experts that focus on what works in the real world.  That means the experts give the straight scoop on how to workaround any limitations and manage network security wisely.

Another Benefit:  You’ll be able to network with the speakers and other attendees to learn what other Network Administrators, Security Analysts, System Administrators, IT Manager, Top Management Supervisors / Leaders, Business Owners and other IT Professionals are doing to solve some of your more challenging problems.  Just tap on my shoulder when you see me during the CON and I'm glad to introduce you to our speakers.  No problem, I'm happy to assist you.

ROOTCON is managed by like minded InfoSec professionals across the Philippines.

As a Co-Founder of ROOTCON and in behalf of the organizing committee we want to make ROOTCON 5 a big success so we could continue this forever – different from any ICT events you attended in the past.  And I hope, we have all your support as this is our own initiative to promote “Security Awareness”.

How to register, visit http://www.rootcon.org/xml/rootcon5/registration   Early bird discount is until June 30, 2011.

If you have time, please visit our blog site at http://blog.rootcon.org

If you want to participate as a sponsor or an exhibitor email us at in...@rootcon.org.

Please disseminate or forward this invitation, in its entirety, to your colleagues, coworkers, friends and even to your boss, because you want to add value to their work and lives.

Thanks.

Sincerely yours,

Organizing Committee

ROOTCON  -  “Let’s Promote Security Awareness”

www.rootcon.org  |  blog.rootcon.org

in...@rootcon.org

Cebu City, Philippines

0917-439-0039 (HOTLINE)

ROOTCON Ad - The Freeman newspaper.jpg
ROOTCON Registration Form - Individual.doc
ROOTCON Registration Form - Group.doc
ROOTCON 5 - For Immediate Press Release.doc