ROOTCON 5 Second Round of Talks on the table

Methadone

May 2, 2011, 6:58:46 AM5/2/11
to ROOTCON
We managed to pull out the second round of talks

1. Keynote from Lawrence Hughes : IPv6 Security Foiling the Hackers
IPv4 is running out in due time, the next generation Internet Protocol
IPv6 is on its way, with this, we need to consider the security side
of IPv6. Mr Hughes will be giving a Keynote about IPv6 security ups
and downs, "IPv6 Security Foiling The Hackers".

2. Virtualization : A New Risk
Virtualization may very well be one of those revolutionary paradigms
that could fundamentally change the way we think about and approach
computing.

Benefits:

1. Lower number of physical servers - helps reduce hardware
maintenance costs because of a lower number of physical servers.

2. By implementing a server consolidation strategy - helps increase
the space utilization efficiency in data center

3. By having each application within its own "virtual server" - helps
prevent one application from impacting another application when
upgrades or changes are made.

4. Develop a standard virtual server build that can be easily
duplicated which will speed up server deployment.

5. Deploy multiple operating system technologies on a single hardware
platform (i.e. Windows Server 2003, Linux, Windows 2000, etc). With
the advent of virtualization, we might ask whether our current
security investments are still valid. Will proven strategies continue
to work? If they do, are they just as effective? What about all the
tools we have invested in? Perhaps the best way to answer these
questions is to consider the changes that virtualization will bring
and how it impacts the core of your information technology.

3. Transforming and Improving the Philippine Election Model Through a
Wiki Backbone
As the very basis of our countries democratic system of governance,
Philippine elections is strangely flawed and broken. In an ideal
election model, voters should choose candidates based on their
background and qualifications.

The problem with Philippine elections is that usually, voters do not
know really know all of their candidates. Often, they only know
candidates who get media coverage: usually the ones at Presidential,
Vice Presidential and Senatorial levels. When going to the ballots,
people often end up with a piece of paper containing a lot of names
that have no meaning to them. Many, if not most candidates are
ususally voted solely on the basis of name recall or party affiliation
and not on their individual merits. Voters are won by media campaigns
and road sorties - whoever has the most money to throw, jingles being
blasted by roving vehicles, candidate posters and tri-media
advertising wins. In fact, one of the COMELEC's basis for determining
if someone who files for candidacy is a nuisance candidate is
"capability to wage a national campagin" - essentially money.

One problem with this is that a lot of the corruption in government
happens at the gubernatorial, mayoral, and congressional levels.
What's even worse is that this system completely invalidates the
entire system as voters are presented with a false choice.

If a voter does not know what his options are, it is not true choice.
It is akin to rolling the dice, or choosing candidates on the basis of
randomly throwing darts or picking raffle entries from a tambiolo -
it's like being presented with a multiple choice question where the
answers are written in a foreign language that the voter does not
understand.

This essentially makes the eternal adages "Vote Wisely" and "Vote
Responsibly" complete jokes: how can one vote wisely and responsibly
if one does not even know what their choices and what they represent
are? In short, it all hinges upon voters being able to make an
informed choice when going to the ballots.

For more info on track listings:
http://www.rootcon.org/xml/rootcon5/tracks

For more info: http://www.rootcon.org/xml/rootcon5/
For Interaction: http://forum.rootcon.org

Spread the word and invite your friends to subscribe to ROOTCON
Google
Groups roo...@googlegroups.com