REPORT INTO THE OPINIONS AND ASPIRATIONS OF GYPSIES & TRAVELLERS IN RELATION TO EDUCATION PROVISION

Isaac Blake

Aug 13, 2016, 6:42:18 AM8/13/16
to 'Roma Virtual Network' via Romano_Liloro
Dear Roma Virtual Network,

The Romani Cultural & Arts Company is unique as an organisation. We are 100% Gypsy, Roma & Traveller led and managed; staffed by the very community our organisation seeks to serve. We have always been ideally-placed to directly consult with our community on matters of significance. Our deep connection enables trust and a common understanding with the GRT communities that is unrivalled. This is why we are so successful at the ground-breaking work we do with Gypsies and Travellers.

In January 2016, we were very lucky to receive a grant to conduct some research on Gypsy & Traveller caravan sites throughout Wales, focused on gaging the opinions and aspirations of some of the most marginalised, vulnerable and abandoned members of Welsh society. As, I am sure you are fully aware, the gap between Gypsies and Travellers in terms of educational attainment, employment, housing, income, life chances and mortality and the rest of Wales remains significant with many young people abandoned and failed by schools and local authorities who in some cases, make no provision for site-based children at all and are often even totally unaware of the actual numbers of children and young people living on local authority sites.

I am pleased to attach the brief report from the consultation programme that took place between January and May 2016. In particular, I draw attention to page 59 onwards. Please also forward the report onto any contacts that it might interest.

With the warmest of regards,

Isaac Blake
Director

The Romani Cultural and Arts Company
Temple Court
13a Cathedral Road
Cardiff
CF11 9HA

Tel: 02920 786 439
Mob: 07854 412 097
Email: isaac...@romaniarts.co.uk

Skype: romaniarts
www.twitter.com/Romaniarts
Visit our website at: www.romaniarts.co.uk

The Romani Cultural and Arts Company was formed in September 2009 as a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee (No. 07005660) and is a registered charity (No.1138150). Working through the arts the Company raises funds to take community development and educational projects onto Gypsy, Roma and Traveller sites and into Gorjer and ‘country-folk’ communities across Wales.

We are a Gypsy, Roma and Traveller community development organisation at heart. We are led by Gypsies, Roma and Travellers, we are about Gypsies, Roma and Travellers, we are for Gypsies, Roma and Travellers. We believe that the community can be developed to become fully accepted participants in mainstream society while still retaining their distinct culture and heritage.

Donate now to secure the future of The Romani Cultural and Arts Company. Registered Charity No 1138150: https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=YLC9KcBkGASOyoWWJLu2_opBz_1wEBmpqwhtjXleZ3hdvdeVQTZvbbzDWxC&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d66f31424b43e9a70645c907a6cbd8fb4

AWARDS FOR ALL REPORT 2016.pdf