Marv Tripp

Apr 4, 2014, 7:33:12 PM4/4/14
to mt...@sbcglobal.net
LEADERS and COWS,      Marv Tripp      April, 2014

Another of our leaders has been found corruptible.  State Representative, Leland Yee, of San Francisco is brot down by the Feds.  Happens too often among our leaders, both public and private.  And members of both political parties have been found wanting.

"Right from wrong" .....cows know nothing about this.  But humans, from childhood, learn proper behaviors from parents, peers, and various role models.  The blissful ignorance of childhood is replaced by the consequences of actions.  Memories are accumulated , both painful and pleasant, by the choices made.  The implications of our behavior shape our sense of right and wrong, and a sense of morals and ethics begins to form.  As self-evaluation takes place, we may reproach ourselves and resolve "to do better next time."   Ethical choices confront us for our lifetime.

Self interest bears on our decisions, but the subculture surrounding us also has influence.  When we see illegal practices by our peers, it may be easier to rationalize that "a little cheating is OK."  It take courage to say "NO" to certain shady opportunities that come our way.

Those who rise to leadership (both public & private) should be role models .....worthy of the definition.  They should be honest, not just because they might be caught, but because it's better than being a cow.