Re: [annex] Digest for rockridge-annex-temporary@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Marv Tripp

Oct 1, 2013, 7:34:33 PM10/1/13
to rockridge-an...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your analysis.  The current situation raises several questions.
1. What effect will the lockdown have on the budget and the economy?
2. What success will the Repubs have in convincing the public that Obama is to blame?
3. Do we now have 5 political forces?  (Repubs, Dems, Independents, Libertarians, Tea Partyers)

As for healthcare,  we know that many are priced out of the private market.  And those without an HMO can be bankrupted by one illness.  Any new program comes with confusion, but there is much info coming our way.  We will be chatting with friends, our doctors, and in 6 months the confusion will lessen.  we'll look back and wonder about our present discomfort.

One last question:  Has the Repub party abandoned national ambitions?  They are on the wrong side of many issues:  healthcare, women's issues, immigration, environment, wealth disparity.  They can't possibly win the executive position.   They may be content with being obstructionists in Congress while wielding power in the states.  They just may be abandoning national power and concentrating on states.
Marv

Oct 1, 2013, 11:58:04 PM10/1/13
to rockridge-an...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, let's see...

(1) If the shutdown goes on for more than a short time, it'll definitely
hurt the economy and widen the deficit.

(2) Those who are already in the Rep choir will probably believe it's
Obama's fault. Current polls suggest others don't, but public opinion is a
moving target as always. Dems have to be rigorously on-point that this is
the GOP-Shutdown. They have to further make the case that the harm to the
economy is significantly because of the shutdown. That's harder because
it's indirect, and we all know that conservatives don't pay attention to
anything but one-step direct causation (no "systemic causation"). But I
think it can be done, as long as everyone knows it has to be done as a
separate step from just blaming the shutdown. Most people think of lack of
services of the shutdown, not the loss of demand from federal employees and
contractors.

(3) I'm wary of codifying "political forces" (Reps include Tea Partiers
and Libertarians, which also overlap a good bit -- Independents include a
lot who lean consistently to one of the two major parties, about as much as
"weak" partisans themselves -- not at all a homogeneous group). I do think
the GOP is being pulled apart, and I attribute that stretch to the money
flowing in from plutocrats, mostly at the wingnuts (including both Tea
Partiers and some Libertarians).

I go back to the Occupy movement, but extend the numbers a couple digits:
there are basically two political forces these days, the 0.01% and the
99.99%.

Yes, I believe ACA will ultimately prove to be largely successful, and
that's why the opponents are struggling so hard to prevent it from kicking
in, especially as this deadline came upon us -- they call it "getting
hooked on the sugar" but the other way to view it is "doing what it's
supposed to do"...

The GOP isn't coherent enough to say it has a single ambition right now, I
think. The wingnuts are holding the establishment members hostage with
dogmatic purity of ideology. Impurity is immorality, in their rhetoric.
They are willing to be one-termers if they think they are doing God's Work
(at least they talk that way -- whether we can really believe them on that
is a separate question, but they know it speaks to the constituency that
has been developed since 2009). That sort of brinksmanship is pressuring
the establishment members who want are a first priority to hold power. So,
the wingnuts know that the establishment will do what it takes to "unify"
the party, which is how they wag the dog.

There may be plutocrats out there who still think they can have their cake
and eat it too (pure dogma and a majority in all three branches of
government). Read Krugman for a sharp view of their fantasy world, where
they want to be worshipped like royalty.

Then check out this interview:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/01/why-boehner-doesnt-just-ditch-the-right/

And then check out this too:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/01/this-obamacare-video-will-make-you-sad-for-america/

The communications around the bill have been -- what's the word for it? --
hmm, "ineffective" maybe?