AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM

Marv Tripp

Dec 13, 2013, 7:15:00 PM12/13/13
to Marv and Jeanette Tripp
AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM.   Marv Tripp,   Dec. 13, 2013

The term AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALSM was first used by Alexis de Tocqueville in 1831 in describing the U.S. condition after our break from Europe.  A recent description by Martin Lipset included liberty, egalitarianism, individualism,  populism, and laissez faire.  I Googled AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM  and found other views of the U.S.  Early on," Manifest Destiny" seemed natural.  Others claimed we were "blessed by God."  And a "frontier spirit" was tagged on by many.  We were seen as living in "the land of opportunity."  Note that all these qualities served America's interests.  Since the fall of Russian power, we have established world hegemony.  As a result, in other lands, many characterize us with possessing "imperial hubris."

Today, on the eve of the anniversary of the Newtown massacre, we experienced another school shooting (Colorado).  Is not gun ownership an aspect of "American Exceptionalism?"     After mass killings in Australia and England, gun ownership was severely restricted and deaths by guns have been greatly reduced.  The norm here exceeds 30 thousand deaths, year after year.  Can we be proud of such "exceptionalism?"

Noel Akins

Dec 14, 2013, 2:13:23 PM12/14/13
to rockridge-an...@googlegroups.com
As you probably know, the imagery of the Minuteman, the Frontier man, The Cowboy are all highly romanticized in our culture. And now, police and military, and even Redneck are at that same level. These images are aspired to by many men as they can translate a sense of worth from them by emulating them. And, the reality of a man as a hunter, providing food for his family, is not that far removed from our history. The gun is an empowering object and symbol. Until new male images that provide the same sense of worth come along to replace these current ones, guns, and tragedies that create will continue to be part of American life.