Ted Cruz, Talkathon

Marv Tripp

Sep 25, 2013, 7:41:44 PM9/25/13
to mt...@sbcglobal.net
1.   TALKATHON:  Political theatre occurred in the Senate on Tuesday and Wednesday. Ted Cruz gave us a Talkathon on Obamacare.  Do elections have meaning?  The Repubs are in the minority; they lost!    They can have a say in debates, but they don't have the votes to prevail.

Cruz seems to be a reincarnation of Joe McCarthy (even looks like him).  His reckless bomb throwing is creating resentment even within his own party.  Without constructive forces within the Repub party, it's likely they'll remain in the minority.  At this time they aren't just conservative, they're radical.

2.    GUN CONTROL:  More mahem by gun!  The mass murder by a deranged ex-navy vet is producing a call for limits on guns issued to those with mental problems.  In my opinion, we're all a little nuts if we don't do something to stop these slaughters.

dano

Sep 25, 2013, 11:04:23 PM9/25/13
to rockridge-an...@googlegroups.com
Cruz is a clown, but he's a clown with a Senate vote, which makes him
slightly more dangerous.

He's utterly uninterested in policy, certainly not interested in actual
governance, just power opportunism.

Some people were calling his stunt a "filibuster" but of course according
to Senate rules this period was just a finite duration where anyone could
get up and talk, no potentially unending stretch -- when time ran out he'd
have been pulled off the podium if he didn't leave voluntarily. He's
probably betting that his constituency in Texas won't know any better, and
I'd take that bet along with him.

It was a "faux-libuster"... ;-)

Pure political theater. And then the vote to proceed was 100-0. Where did
that 100th vote magically appear from? It's a mystery. :-)

Reality speaks for itself.