imx233 JTAG debug, SDCard, uSDCard boot and FAT32

Casainho

Nov 30, 2010, 5:58:37 PM11/30/10
to rockboxplayer
Hello.

I am starting looking for a way to connect the SPI Nokia 5110 LCD to
imx233 board. Since I need/want to use JTAG for debug, I can't use the
SDCard at the same time.

As I see Rockbox working, the bootloader initialise the SDCard and
FAT32 filesystem, so it mount the partition where Rockbox firmware
file is and load it/run. Now we have an image for uSDCard from where
imx233 boots, and that enable JTAG/disables SDCard.

1. Does anyone knows if the uSDCard can have the boot image + FAT32
file system, so then we can use just the uSDCard for bootloader +
Rockbox firmware?

--
Cumprimentos,
Jorge Pinto

Bob

Nov 30, 2010, 6:39:32 PM11/30/10
to rockboxplayer
Its been a while, but I think that we can use JTAG with the Boot SD
but not the User SD? This was felt to be ok, because we would debug
code running on the boot SD, with the user SD containing data files.

I had thought that we could have the bootloader and rockbox firmware
on the boot CD, and also data files as well. Several DAPs have an
internal SD which contains original firmware, and an external SD for
user music. Rockbox therefore supports one or two volumes which can be
any type of media. So I don't see a problem having everything on one
SD card, at least during debugging.

I didn't get around to drawing a schematic for connecting the 5110
LCD, I had been looking at the color LCD. Hopefully I will get things
setup again soon.

Casainho

Nov 30, 2010, 7:25:05 PM11/30/10
to rockboxplayer
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Bob <bobcou...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Its been a while, but I think that we can use JTAG with the Boot SD
> but not the User SD?

JTAG lines are shared with the SDCard lines, so we can't have both.

This was felt to be ok, because we would debug
> code running on the boot SD, with the user SD containing data files.
>
> I had thought that we could have the bootloader and rockbox firmware
> on the boot CD, and also data files as well.

My question is that, if you don't remember, you wrote a text file
explaining how to create a boot uSDCard image file. I don't know if
FAT32 can coexist with boot image file.

Several DAPs have an
> internal SD which contains original firmware, and an external SD for
> user music. Rockbox therefore supports one or two volumes which can be
> any type of media. So I don't see a problem having everything on one
> SD card, at least during debugging.

For debugging the bootloader, we can just use actual image for uSDCard
that boots and enables JTAG/disables SDCard. We can then configure
SDRAM and load to it the bootloader code using JTAG/OpenOCD,
jumping/running/debugging it.

For firmware, I think we should have the uSDCard with the bootloader
and loading the firmware from FAT. We can say to debugger/eclipse we
are debugging the specific firmware file (.ELF).

> I didn't get around to drawing a schematic for connecting the 5110
> LCD, I had been looking at the color LCD. Hopefully I will get things
> setup again soon.

I started it right now and committed what I have to lyre svn on
Sourceforge: hardware_design/lyre_nokia5110_lcd_and_buttons/

For LCD, it's simple direct lines, except LED back-light which should
use a mosfet but I want to not use backlight for now. There is a PWM
on expansion board for controlling back-light.

I am looking to use 6 buttons. 1 is the PSWITCH that must be wired in
parallel to actual button on imx233 board. Other 5 buttons have
internal pull up on imx233, so, again direct connections :-)