another SDRAM ICs, more cheap

Casainho

Jul 13, 2010, 8:43:36 AM7/13/10
to rockboxplayer
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W9412G6JH-5-ND

Does anyone knows if that SDRAM IC that costs 1.5€ for 100 units, may work on imx233 board? -- I am looking for a cheap SDRAM IC... for using this board as kind of Arduino.

--
Cumprimentos,
Jorge Pinto

john cooper

Jul 13, 2010, 2:07:39 PM7/13/10
to rockbo...@googlegroups.com
Casainho wrote:
> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W9412G6JH-5-ND

> <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W9412G6JH-5-ND>
>
> Does anyone knows if that SDRAM IC that costs 1.5€ for 100 units, may
> work on imx233 board? -- I am looking for a cheap SDRAM IC... for using
> this board as kind of Arduino.

I think we've talked about this before. You're specifically
looking for x16 wide DDR1. What density?

I don't believe you'll find a sustainable source of 512Mb
devices at that price but really haven't looked at lower
densities as even 256Mb devices seems to be headed to the
surplus market.

Speaking of which, if a max of 100 units is all you're after
you should take a look at surplus DDR1 laptop memory of under
512MB density. They are uniquely using 16x bit wide devices and
appear to have hit a production peak about 6+ years ago when
TSSOP packages were still prevalent. Each card contains 8
packages and can probably be had for quite cheap assuming you
don't mind some rummaging.

-john

--
john....@third-harmonic.com

Casainho

Jul 13, 2010, 4:09:26 PM7/13/10
to rockbo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM, john cooper <john....@third-harmonic.com> wrote:
Casainho wrote:
> http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W9412G6JH-5-ND
> <http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W9412G6JH-5-ND>
>
> Does anyone knows if that SDRAM IC that costs 1.5€ for 100 units, may
> work on imx233 board? -- I am looking for a cheap SDRAM IC... for using
> this board as kind of Arduino.

I think we've talked about this before.  You're specifically
looking for x16 wide DDR1.  What density?

I don't really understand your question. I am looking for a cheaper possible SDRAM, because I would love to use this board for making a RepRap 3D printer electronics: http://reprap.org/wiki/Circuit_board_construction

I would like to make a board and commercialize it. Maybe using an ARM Cortex is cheaper and is enough. Actual boards based on Arduino are slow to make some calculations on gcode lines.

I don't believe you'll find a sustainable source of 512Mb
devices at that price but really haven't looked at lower
densities as even 256Mb devices seems to be headed to the
surplus market.

Speaking of which, if a max of 100 units is all you're after
you should take a look at surplus DDR1 laptop memory of under
512MB density.  They are uniquely using 16x bit wide devices and
appear to have hit a production peak about 6+ years ago when
TSSOP packages were still prevalent.  Each card contains 8
packages and can probably be had for quite cheap assuming you
don't mind some rummaging.

Oh, I am really newbie on this, on electronics design and production...

Opendous Inc.

Jul 14, 2010, 10:16:56 AM7/14/10
to rockboxplayer

$6USD Qimonda 512Mbit 5ns DDR has been discontinued but if you only
plan on needing 100:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=675-1010-1-ND

$3USD Winbond 128Mbit 5ns DDR will likely be discontinued but it is
$2USD at Q100:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W9412G6JH-5-ND

$8.50USD Micron MT46V32M16TG-6T IT:F 512Mbit 6ns DDR is well stocked
at avnet.com which has high shipping costs.

$3USD ISSI IS43R16160B-5TL 256Mbit 5ns DDR is well stocked at
arrownac.com which has decent shipping costs.

But what is wrong with the Micron MT46V32M16P-5B:F 512Mbit 5ns DDR
which goes for $11.13USD ($8.40USD/Q100) and is well-stocked?
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=557-1212-1-ND

I realize that is 4x more than you seem to be budgeting for but will
that extra $6 really dominate your Bill of Materials? Could you not
simply charge $6 more for your product?

On Jul 13, 8:09 pm, Casainho <casai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM, john cooper <john.coo...@third-harmonic.com
>
> > wrote:
> > Casainho wrote:
>
> >http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W941...
> > > <
> >http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=W941...

Casainho

Jul 14, 2010, 11:10:26 AM7/14/10
to rockbo...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Opendous Inc. <opendous...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

It's good to know all this options and so can't count with $2 for SDRAM, more like the $8.4.

I am thinking what is best for my application/product, which I would prefer to go with imx233 (5.1€) + SDRAM (9.18€) + uSDCard (9€), however one Cortex M3 @ 120MHZ (LPC17x9 7.7€) is more cheap. I am interested on the 454MHz, uSDCard boot firmware and the possibility of running Linux.

Matt, since you have a board with LPC175x, what do you think is more expensive? or the imx233 in the end have a near price? (like imx233 have internal LDO regulators and DC-DC...)