Re: Rockbox

Casainho

Jun 10, 2010, 10:41:50 AM6/10/10
to Petr Gratz, rockboxplayer, Opendous Support
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Petr Gratz <Petr....@email.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have read very inetersting articles about audio player based on Mini2440 ARM development kit with touch screen. I have a couple of questions:
>
> - do you sell any complete kit able to play FLAC audio files?
> - what kind of memory is it possible to use to store and play audio files (SD card, HDD, ...)?
> - Is it possible to get I2s ot SPDIF digital output from this device as an audio output?
>
> Thanks
> Petr

Hello :-)

Our Rockbox port for Mini2440 is not running perfectly. In fact, I
think we all are not interested on it no more. But I hope that in near
future (maybe 2 months??) we will be able to offer a better option,
because we are working on a full Open Source and DIY hardware!

In fact, I hope to sell it to win some money (because I need, it's a
strong motivation :-) ). And I am sure more people will want to do the
same, like Matt Opendous that designed the hardware.

Our actual board (OpenSource and DIY) will run Rockbox and Linux (and
Android I hope). It have an imx233 ARM9 running at 454MHz and 32MBytes
of SDRAM. It boots from a uSDCard (Rockbox bootloader) and have a
another card, and SD, for user data, audio, files. Have a 2.5'' color
LCD and uses a Li-ion battery. It charges the battery by USB and there
are a few capacities/sizes on market that we can use :-)

This board right now do not support SPDIF. I2S, I don't know what is
(or maybe is for DACs??). But this board is made to be modular, which
means we will be able to make modules to add other functionalities
just like that ones missing. Even the board have USB device and host,
and with host we will be able to add all kind of USB devices, like
USB<->Ethernet, USB<->Wifi, USB<->HDD, etc.

And FLAC? will "play for sure" :-)

Please see our blog were you have all the news about our new board:
http://lyre.sourceforge.net/?q=blog

Our discussion group is here, where we are talking about the current
development: http://groups.google.com/group/rockboxplayer

Thanks you for your contact. :-)

Bob

Jun 10, 2010, 11:23:20 AM6/10/10
to rockboxplayer
I'll add a couple of notes on that.

After looking at the iMX233 I realised that the SD problem on the
Mini2440 may just be the 100ms delay that can occur on SD cards. There
is an inherent loop hole in the SD protocol, even if you check the SD
card is not busy by the time you issue another command it may decide
to do some housekeeping and delay for some huge time. Some time I will
revisit the Mini2440 port. I still have a plan to use it as an in-car
player, but it seems unlikely the Rockbox port will ever be completed,
notably USB which needs a lot of work, unless someone wants to
volunteer...

The Mini2440 does have I2S on the board, but no SPDIF. However, if you
are looking for hi-fi quality the frequency accuracy of the Mini2440
is not very good. This is a problem with the S3C2440 SoC. There may be
a workaround in software to change the CPU frequency dynamically
depending on the bit rate, but the Mini2440 is not designed for audio
quality anyway so there is not much advantage in pursuing that.

The version of iMX233 we are using for "Lyre V1" does not have I2S or
SPDIF, we use the internal codec.

Both the Mini2440 and Lyre V1 use an SD card for data storage (up to
32GB), and Rockbox does support FLAC.

At some point I would like to add HDD support to our players, another
subject for the future!

Cheers

Casainho

Jun 10, 2010, 11:45:59 AM6/10/10
to rockbo...@googlegroups.com, Petr....@email.cz
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Bob <bobcou...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'll add a couple of notes on that.
>
> After looking at the iMX233 I realised that the SD problem on the
> Mini2440 may just be the 100ms delay that can occur on SD cards. There
> is an inherent loop hole in the SD protocol, even if you check the SD
> card is not busy by the time you issue another command it may decide
> to do some housekeeping and delay for some huge time. Some time I will
> revisit the Mini2440 port. I still have a plan to use it as an in-car
> player, but it seems unlikely the Rockbox port will ever be completed,
> notably USB which needs a lot of work, unless someone wants to
> volunteer...
>
> The Mini2440 does have I2S on the board, but no SPDIF. However, if you
> are looking for hi-fi quality the frequency accuracy of the Mini2440
> is not very good. This is a problem with the S3C2440 SoC. There may be
> a workaround in software to change the CPU frequency dynamically
> depending on the bit rate, but the Mini2440 is not designed for audio
> quality anyway so there is not much advantage in pursuing that.
>
> The version of iMX233 we are using for "Lyre V1" does not have I2S or
> SPDIF, we use the internal codec.

Bob, this means that we will not be able to add some external audio
DAC using this LQFP imx233? Isn't there any version of audio codecs
just using SPI?

(I am sending this message to Petr, so he can read your answer).

Bob

Jun 10, 2010, 1:02:57 PM6/10/10
to rockboxplayer
There might be such a codec, I don't know. Audio needs a continuous
flow of data, I'm not sure SPI is up to the task.

Opendous Support

Jun 10, 2010, 1:50:30 PM6/10/10
to rockbo...@googlegroups.com
The Texas Instrument's PCM2902 is a Full-Speed USB 16-Bit CODEC
(1-input, 1-output) with S/PDIF which our board should be able to
host. Or, just about any USB CODEC or headset or audio device can be
hosted.