Whopping ad on the events page

Jason Olshefsky

Oct 14, 2013, 7:16:14 AM10/14/13
to roches...@googlegroups.com
"Hess Express Celebrates Grand Opening Of BURGER KING® Drive-Thru Restaurant In Penfield, NY"

Seriously? Totally an advertisement.

---Jason Olshefsky

Pete B

Oct 14, 2013, 8:46:55 AM10/14/13
to Jason Olshefsky, roches...@googlegroups.com
I'm out of town with limited access --can someone remove the Burger King ad please??

Thx
For options, view full headers. See also http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterwiki
---

Damian Kumor

Oct 14, 2013, 8:50:22 AM10/14/13
to Pete B, Jason Olshefsky, roches...@googlegroups.com
It's a one day event for a new opening, I actually think we can leave it.  Not like the events page is bursting with events otherwise.  They are even doing some giveaways.

Jason Olshefsky

Oct 14, 2013, 9:39:00 AM10/14/13
to roches...@googlegroups.com
This specific entry just tweaks me the wrong way, but to put it in all fairness: is NPOV ignored on the Events page? I mean, not just this one, but nearly all the events are full of flowery, opinionated, coercive language. Thus, should NPOV be enforced here? The Events Page is pretty clunky to use (e.g. can authors even edit their own? I can't seem to [immediately] find how to edit anything on the page) so it would be difficult to promote community editing. In my opinion, we should be encouraging and enforcing NPOV all over, and if there are any exceptions, that should be clearly stated for readers.

Damian Kumor

Oct 14, 2013, 10:47:27 AM10/14/13
to Jason Olshefsky, roches...@googlegroups.com
I think the events has been Not NPOV.  We do keep it honest though.

Sent from my iPhone, typos are numerous and hilarious

Pete B

Oct 16, 2013, 8:52:29 AM10/16/13
to Damian Kumor, Jason Olshefsky, roches...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for not jumping in on this more but I'm in cape cod this week. I think the ad should be wiped-one day or not it sets a bad precedent which could lead to other ads. If I think about it when we get back to the hotel tonight it will go away