Kiss a Colombian Cloud

Jim Black

Feb 19, 2023, 12:16:33 AM2/19/23
to Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers

(2 min/40 seconds). Flying Roldanillo Colombia with Eagle Paragliding. As the flats start to heat up we would stay in the mountains and recycle to cloud base while our flying team got ready to push across the valley. This final topping up was a bit more exciting than I had planned. I struggled at times hooking bar with my feet, but I was ready this time!

Jim Black

James Kolynich

Feb 19, 2023, 7:21:35 AM2/19/23
to RochesterAreaFlyers
Nice flight! Video was very well done!

matthew conrad

Feb 19, 2023, 8:03:14 AM2/19/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Nice vid Jim. Looks pretty scary way up there at cloudbase, lol
Getting some quality pg time, very nice.

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

***Bristol Mtn Weather & Webcam***
- https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYNAPLE32
- https://www.bristolmountain.com/webcam/

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
To post to this group, send email to:
rochester...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
rochesterareafl...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/CALQqo9197oVQ-uUt1kOj3xsnAhadnrarzamYDtffkTKsxRiWCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

chris toomey

Feb 19, 2023, 9:05:40 AM2/19/23
to Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone

Katrin Parsiegla

Feb 19, 2023, 12:58:42 PM2/19/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com, Jim Black, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Nice video Jim. You look a lot more relaxed than on your Dansville flight.

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

***Bristol Mtn Weather & Webcam***
- https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYNAPLE32
- https://www.bristolmountain.com/webcam/

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
To post to this group, send email to:
rochester...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
rochesterareafl...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/4BC85BE5-3764-4E2E-9C8C-6204A59C12E9%40yahoo.com.

David Oddy

Feb 22, 2023, 10:54:07 AM2/22/23
to Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Here are the stats from my trip in case anyone's wondering why Colombia is such a great place to build airtime and thermal skill:

Some cool stats from my two weeks: (bored at the airport)
13 Solo Flights
1 Tandem Flight (w/Jeff Shapiro)
2 World-class Guides/Mentors (Jeff Shapiro & Logan Walters)
46 Hours 17 Mins Air Time
611 Km XC Distance
1,442.38 Km Track Length
82,430 Meters Vertical Ascent

One Pee-tube Emergency
Many New Friends
Thousands of Smiles!

Hope to see Jim again plus some more NY friends next year!!

Robert Slebodnik

Feb 22, 2023, 10:57:42 AM2/22/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

AMAZING!

Bob S.

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

***Bristol Mtn Weather & Webcam***
- https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYNAPLE32
- https://www.bristolmountain.com/webcam/

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
To post to this group, send email to:
rochester...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
rochesterareafl...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/CAJWvd6iHYeRuktL%2B-J1dZ8roujvt%3Dp3b1gGObitr0nKswyXV7g%40mail.gmail.com.

Chris Christophersen

Feb 22, 2023, 1:02:18 PM2/22/23
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Why did you take the tandem?

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 10:54 AM David Oddy <da...@davidoddy.com> wrote:
--
[...]

"In God We Trust"
If you do not want me to contact you by email simply reply STOP.

Jim Black

Feb 22, 2023, 2:37:08 PM2/22/23
to Rochester Area Flyers
Dave gets lots of airtime!

You can take Dave's hours, divide by 2 since I was only 1 week, and then divide by 2 again since I landed about twice as soon = 16 hrs.

I got 11 hrs which was about all I could digest as a newer pilot.

I also did a tandem which was a 3.75 hr instructional lesson in the air with Rob Sporrer (Eagle Owner) while he was team flying with his group of 5 pilots.. During the flight I could verify my observations and ask questions e.g. about finding lift or centering in thermals.. The day following my tandem was my 1st cross country flight and longest PG Flight  (2:48 with 26 kilometers). Eagle tours include these instructional tandems and encourage tour participants to sign up for them.

Seems like these intensive learning experiences can benefit pilots at many different levels of progression.

Jim

--
Dr. Jim Black
He/Him/His

David Oddy

Feb 22, 2023, 3:01:02 PM2/22/23
to Rochester Area Flyers
Two reasons:

- amazing learning opportunity to be in the air directly with one of the best flats pilots in the world.  I heard about all of his decisions and had the chance to question and validate my own ideas of where to go for climbs.
- learning to be a better tandem pilot.

I did it last year also and learned more than on any single solo flight.